Chemistry Patent Agent
Job Title: Chemistry Patent Agent
Location: Birmingham, AL
We are currently seeking a Chemistry Patent Agent for our discovery and CMC group. The right individual will have Strong academic credentials, which should minimally include a Ph.D. in Organic or medicinal chemistry. Candidate should have excellent written, verbal communication and organizational skills. Ability to grasp new technical teachings quickly. Ability to efficiently review patent and non-patent literature for key concepts. Prior patent prosecution experience preferred ideally with pharmaceuticals, synthetic methods, molecular biology and drug discovery. Superb organic chemistry-related background and can draft high-quality patent applications and respond to office actions. This position will report directly to General Counsel and will work directly with drug discovery team and the Director of Intellectual Property to prepare patent filings and assist as appropriate in the management of Intellectual Property.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Interacting with discovery and CMC group inventors to learn about new ideas to be patented.
- Preparing patent applications, which include drafting technical descriptions describing the inventions.
- Ability to analyze all spectral data for drafted compounds to verify its structural accuracy.
- Ability to identify and assess inventions that have the potential for new product development.
- Ability to do research and analyze literature search reports in order to assist in potential patentability, freedom to practice/operate and prior art analysis for new inventions.
- Prior legal experience is not mandatory, but registration with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (if not already established) will be expected.
- This position demands that the individual will, under the supervision of senior practitioners, assume significant responsibilities, communicate with various levels of management and staff and, at times, require a significant degree of autonomy.
- Research and analysis of third-party rights. Assist in the evaluation of competitors' patents to create new ways to position and develop company’s products in the market without violating other company’s rights.
- Ability to situate an idea or concept in a broader context enabling company to be more competitive and to secure research developments over many years to come.
- Rapid learning, good communication skills, and the ability to break down complex legal and technical issues into simpler forms.
- Have a very strong writing and oral communication skills.
- Participate in weekly departmental drug discovery team meeting so as to plan to prepare a draft for a potential future new invention.
PhD degree in organic or medicinal chemistry having superior academic credentials with 2-5 years of experience in the same field of science, preferably in a Biotech industry setting. Outstanding writing ability is required. The ideal candidate will have 1-3 years of top law firm patent prosecution experience in a broad range of chemistry applications which may include pharmaceutical / small molecule matters.
BioCryst is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing equal employment opportunities without regard to age, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, Veterans status, disability and/or other protected class characteristics. Additionally, BioCryst is committed to achieving its business objectives in compliance with all federal, state and local laws.