Supplemental Instruction Specialist (Science Specialty)
6 days left
- Job Type
- Full time
Supplemental Instruction Specialist (Science Specialty) – Academic Resource Center (ARC- 10 Mo Position)
State College of Florida, Manatee-Sarasota
SCF seeks employees looking to be a part of a culture of service excellence in the following position of Supplemental Instruction Specialist – Academic Resource Center (ARC. The Supplemental Instruction Specialist Oversees student learning activities in the Academic Resource Center (ARC): designs, pilots, implements, coordinates, and assesses individual and group tutoring, study coaching, supplemental instruction initiatives, workshop programs, and developmental skills labs. This person engages with a large number of students every day, teaching and reinforcing the skills and strategies to help students become independent and active learners, while providing content specific support in Math, English, or Science. This person develops, organizes, updates, and maintains all relevant study materials, coordinates ARC learning initiatives with the faculty, course coordinators, or Department Chairs, and assists the Lab Manager in the general supervision of the ARC.
1. Designs, implements, coordinates, and assesses the success of: tutoring, study coaching,and supplemental instruction initiatives. Develop study materials and instructional materials for use in these initiatives.
2. Instructs students enrolled in developmental skills labs for mathematics. Plans curriculum, develops syllabi, and administers lessons, orders and provides texts and materials each
3. Maintains expert knowledge in one or more academic area (Math, English, or Science). Serves as a resource person for the peer tutors (student tutors). Mentor and trains new student tutors. Develops and maintains the tutor training manual and training materials. Tutor students individually who request assistance.
4. Presents ARC orientations to students and faculty. Develops presentation materials.
Represents the ARC at college events. Collaborates with Communications and Marketing to develop materials for these events.
5. Collaborates with faculty mentors, early alert advisors, and course coordinators to identify specific student academic and study skills issues. Designs and implements individualized student development activities on a case-by-case basis to help students achieve academic improvement consistent with their goals, values, interests, and abilities.
6. Supervises the operation of the ARC during evening and weekend hours, as required when the Lab Manager is not present. Ensures that all staff and students contribute to a productive study atmosphere in the ARC.
7. Keeps current on changing professional practices and the growing use of instructional technologies. Learns, manages, implements, and trains in the use of current study skills and academic software platforms, learning management systems, printing systems, etc. Instructs staff and students in their appropriate use. Troubleshoots common issues.
8. Collaborates with faculty, course coordinators, and department chairs to improve academic support of gateway courses and high-risk courses by integrating ARC services and learning resource materials into course curricula and best practices. Represents the ARC on collegewide committees and at department meetings to integrate ARC services into appropriate pilot programs and initiatives.
9. Conducts workshops on demand. Coordinates with students and faculty to incorporate material that addresses the needs of the students. Develops workshop materials, prepares presentations, and utilizes a variety of instructional approaches as appropriate for an academically diverse population.
10. Works collaboratively with other ARC staff members to ensure smooth operation of the ARC: organizes and updates inventories and usage records, maintains and troubleshoots student use computers and printers, report equipment in need of repair, participates in selection of learning resource materials and other supplies for purchase, open and close the facility as needed.
11. Perform other tasks or duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent from four-year college, or university and one or more years’ related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Previous experience tutoring and/or teaching college students is preferred.
• Must have “expert knowledge” in one of the academic fields supported through the ARC: demonstrable knowledge of college level math (algebra, trigonometry and either statistics or calculus) or college level science (at least two of the following: biology, chemistry, physics, anatomy & physiology), or college level English.
• Supervisory Experience:
One or more years of experience as a “lead” employee, with responsibility for scheduling and assigning work, training new employees, and assisting others with problems.
• The academic area this position is intended to support is natural science. Successful applicants must have demonstrable knowledge of at least two areas of college level science (chemistry, physics, biology, or anatomy/physiology ). The interview process will include science questions for the candidate to explain.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Special note about completion of application:
You will receive a confirmation number indicating when you have completed your application. If you have not received a confirmation number, you have not finished your application. Good luck in the recruiting process!
All college searches are subject to compliance with Florida’s Public Records Law and all documents submitted become the property of the college.
This position is a career-level position and is eligible for veteran preference. If you qualify, please complete the Veteran Preference section of the application and attach a copy of your DD214.
Requires successful completion of criminal background screenings and employment reference checks.
Department Name: Academic Resource Center
Work Schedule: 10 Month
Work Hours From: Varies
Work Hours To: Varies
Total Hours Per Week: 35
Requested Start Date: ASAP
Job Type: Staff/Administration
Benefits Eligible: Yes
Hiring Range: $20,847.82 - $26,059.59
Job Open Date: 06/26/2017
Open Until Filled: Yes
Apply now at http://apptrkr.com/1056203
Statement of Non-Discrimination State College of Florida, Manatee-Sarasota does not discriminate on the basis of sex, pregnancy, race, religion, age, national origin/ethnicity, color, marital status, disability, genetic information and sexual orientation in any of its educational programs, services or activities, including admission and employment. Direct inquiries regarding nondiscrimination policies to: Equity Officer, 941-752-5323, PO Box 1849, Bradenton, FL 34206.