Assistant Director, University of Iowa Central NMR Facility
- Job Type
- Full time
Assistant Director/Assistant Research Scientist
University of Iowa Central NMR Facility, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
The Department of Chemistry at the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences seeks qualified candidates for the position of Assistant Director/Assistant Research Scientist. The incumbent will assist the Director in the operation, maintenance, user-training and applications support of the spectrometers, accessories and data processing computers of the NMR facility. Currently, the facility (https://chem.uiowa.edu/university-iowa-central-nmr-facility) houses eight Bruker spectrometers with the frequencies ranging from 300-600 MHz, including a 500 MHz solid state NMR equipment with modern probes.
The primary responsibilities include:
a) Day-to-day operations of the facility -- cryogen fills, check field homogeneity and shimming, resolve minor technical issues (e.g. NMR software, tuning/matching probes, web-reservation systems, NMR website), working with users to setup and run solid state NMR experiments, occasional solution NMR spectral service for external customers
b) Maintenance -- power down/power up instrumentation, check console fans and filters, probe changes, verification of 90o pulse lengths, signal-to-noise ratio and magnetic field homogeneity, assist in troubleshooting and repairing problems with instrumentation
c) User training -- coordinate and train users on the operation of low-field solution and solid state NMR spectrometers, train teaching assistants on auto-sampler, add users on web reservation systems
d) Application and analysis support -- development of NMR applications and protocols, parameters optimization, small molecule structure analysis; opportunities exist for collaborative research, teaching and attending NMR conferences;
e) Administrative -- check user compliance of policies and taking corrective measures, maintain NMR website and web reservation systems, monthly user-fee accounting, NMR-related outreach activities (e.g. tour prospective graduate students); monthly data archival
- Academic knowledge of a discipline plus the ability to translate, adapt and apply the knowledge that is generally associated with a Ph.D. degree or equivalent professional degree.
- 3 or more years of progressively responsible experience in NMR spectroscopy and the conduct of engineering, physical or chemical science research
- Experience with windows and unix operating systems
- 1-2 years of Post-Doctoral experience in NMR-related research in one or more fields of Chemistry or other related disciplines
- Experience in solid state NMR spectroscopy demonstrated with publications and or training
- Experience with NMR hardware and software; theoretical and experimental NMR spectroscopy experience
- Experience with web site development and maintenance.
- Hands-on experience with electronics instruments (e.g. voltmeter, oscilloscope)
- Knowledge of customer service concepts and techniques; ability to meet or exceed customer needs and expectations and provide excellent service in a professional manner.
- Ability to work with a variety of individuals and groups in a constructive and civil manner while appreciating the unique contribution of individuals.
Review job details and apply at http://jobs.uiowa.edu, reference requisition #71389.
The Department and the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences are strongly committed to diversity; the strategic plans of the University and College reflect this commitment. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran. The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.