Education Lead Editor
The mission of the ACS Education Division is to serve learners and educators by building communities and providing effective chemistry education products, services and information. The five goals of the ACS Education Division Strategic Plan — resources, communities, professional development, standards and guidelines, and operational excellence — reflect the responsiveness of the Division in meeting the needs of the changing chemistry enterprise.
This is a professional-level position. The incumbent is responsible for managing all editorial aspects of ChemMatters magazine (a quarterly publication of the ACS Education Division), its Teacher Guide, and website. The incumbent is responsible for managing the editing and production of all aspects of the magazine, including promotion and interactions with subscribers. The incumbent also manages the ChemMatters Teachers Guide and web content and serves as a key player in any redesigns or revisions of that content area. The incumbent collaborates with entities internal and external to the ACS Education Division to market and promote ChemMatters and to optimize production processes. The incumbent will also provide editorial direction for other publications within the Division.
Work Design: Consistently demonstrates creativity and ingenuity to perform assignments and create solution. Consistently demonstrates knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures related to the editorial functions of ChemMatters magazine. Resolves complex issues and consults with management to influence decisions. Decision making involves setting priorities, evaluating results, and collaborating with others to formulate and implement recommendations and solutions. Determines methods and procedures on new projects and may coordinate activities of other personnel.
- Serves as editor for ChemMatters magazine, and provides editorial direction and support for other Education Division publications as needed, which includes the acquisition and editing of articles, and ensuring that magazine content is engaging, scientifically correct, and appropriate for a high school chemistry audience. The ChemMatters editor works closely with freelance authors, rewrites material as necessary, identifies and selects appropriate figures and illustrations, and works with production staff (Art Director, ChemMatters managing editor, technical editors) on schedules and all aspects of the production process.
- Manages the production of the ChemMatters Teachers Guide, working collaboratively with Teachers Guide editors to ensure that content is relevant and useful for use by high school chemistry teachers
- Partners with the Education Division web team to implement regular updates to the ChemMatters Web site. Provides support for the marketing, distribution, and budgeting activities related to ChemMatters.
- Works collaboratively with other ACS units such as AACT, IT, Membership, External Affairs and Communications (EAC) and/or external entities to promote ChemMatters and/or identify possible synergistic activities. This includes organizing, facilitating, and/or conducting workshops and presentations about ChemMatters.
- Coordinates the regular evaluation of ChemMatters magazine. Collaborates with ACS Member Research to conduct evaluation and analysis activities.
- Serves as the staff liaison to the ChemMatters Policy Board.
- Coordinates special projects such as creation of a Web-based ChemMatters archives and collaborates with other Education Division editorial and production staff to optimize process and production efficiencies
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of incumbents.
Bachelor’s degree in chemistry or a related field along with, journalism, science writing or related area or equivalent experience. 8+ years of experience in writing, editing, and producing scientific publications. High school teaching, advanced degree, or equivalent experiences a plus. Some experience with digital media and marketing is also desired. Providing leadership and a team-oriented approach to problem solving along with excellent written and oral communication skills are a must.