Vice President of Engineering
Vice President of Engineering – Algenol Biotech LLC
The Vice President of Engineering will provide strategic, operational, and technical leadership to the Company, leading the engineering team and working closely with all members of the Executive Management Team (EMT). The Vice President of Engineering will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and will serve on the Executive Management Team.
He/she will be primarily responsible for process development and improvement at multiple levels of scale-up that lower capital and operational costs for current and future products. He/she will also be responsible for engineering R&D strategy as the Company develops and commercializes products from algae.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Leading a multidisciplinary team of engineers, biologists and operators to direct the design and development of new products and the production improvement of existing products, processes and technology, specifically related to food and/or personal care ingredients and protein manufacturing, extraction and scale-up technologies.
- Overseeing the design and basic engineering of future production facilities.
- Working with members of the senior management team to achieve department and company goals, and to help set corporate policy related to operations, business strategy, safety, and financial matters.
- Providing dynamic leadership and developing objectives for the Engineering R&D department, including managing departmental budgetary and personnel matters.
- Helping to identify, assess, and protect Intellectual Property needed to provide a competitive advantage for the company.
- Interfacing, as a member of the Executive Management Team, with the Board of Managers and with investors.
The ideal candidate will:
- Possess strong management experience with demonstrated expertise in developing processes for a broad range of industrial biotechnology products, preferably based on protein manufacturing, as well as more traditional downstream processing technologies in the food and process industries. Extraction, purification, separation, filtration and drying technologies are of particular interest to Algenol.
- Be a respected technology leader with an external network of contacts throughout the industry, and have a track record of inspiring and building effective engineering teams.
- Have a history of successfully managing projects from product conception through development, deployment, and commercialization, preferably in a biotech-related area.
- Have significant experience in the working with proteins and other food components, including regulatory aspects of their development and use; GMP compliance experience is an asset.
- Have a Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering (or related field) with 15+ years of experience, including executive leadership.
- Possess the temperament and interactive personality necessary to lead within an innovative, fast-moving, start-up environment.
- Possess executive level oral and written communication skills; can articulate concepts clearly and concisely, and make effective presentations to internal audiences, technical workshops, conferences and investors.
Algenol is an equal opportunity employer.
Application Procedure: Please e-mail a PDF version of your cover letter and curriculum vitae to: email@example.com; reference “VP Engineering” in the subject line.