Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
The Department of Chemistry at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville invites applications for a tenure-track position in Organic Chemistry or Polymer Chemistry/Polymer Science to begin in August 22, 2018. Applicants with interdisciplinary interests related to materials science and/or synthesis of polymers will be considered.
- A Ph.D. in Chemistry or a very closely related discipline.
- One year of teaching experience (which may be satisfied by two semesters of half-time teaching assistantships in graduate school).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience in mentoring undergraduate research.
- Ability to effectively teach general chemistry courses.
- Ability to effectively teach upper-level lecture and lab courses in organic and polymer chemistry.
- Ability to contribute to existing program emphases and/or experience with instrumentation.
Teaching responsibilities include lecture and lab courses in general chemistry, and upper-level courses in organic and polymer chemistry. Curriculum development in organic and polymer chemistry is expected. The successful candidate is expected to establish an independent research program that involves undergraduate students. Additional responsibilities include seeking external funding for undergraduate research, academic advising, performing committee service and other duties as assigned.
Department and College Information:
The Chemistry Department currently consists of 11 tenured/tenure-track faculty, 6 instructional academic staff. The Department offers American Chemical Society (ACS) certified BS degrees in Chemistry, and also offers a Chemistry Minor and a 2-year Pre-Pharmacy Program. The Department has approximately 120 majors and graduates 15 to 20 students per year. Faculty within the program work closely with students and provide several opportunities for undergraduate research. For more information, please see the departmental web page at: https://www.uwplatt.edu/ems/chemistry.
The College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science (EMS) enrolls approximately 3,500 students in BS degrees in Chemistry, Mathematics, Broad-field Science, Computer Science, and Sustainable and Renewable Energy Systems, and ABET-accredited BS degree programs in Civil, Electrical, Environmental, Industrial, Mechanical and Software Engineering, and Engineering Physics. The College also offers an online Master of Engineering program which has been designated as a “Best Buy” in online education.
The University of Wisconsin-Platteville, founded in 1866, enrolls about 8,000 students in 42 baccalaureate and 6 master's programs. It possesses institutional strengths in middle level education, engineering, industrial technology, agriculture, criminal justice and business. The campus is located in Southwest Wisconsin's largest and most historic community. The region offers excellent school systems, high quality medical and hospital facilities, outstanding recreational opportunities, and vibrant businesses and industries. UW-Platteville is a cultural and educational center for the Tri-State region of Illinois, Iowa and Wisconsin.
To Ensure Consideration:
Application review begins October 23, 2017, and applications will be accepted until the position has been filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please visit our application website at http://www.uwplatt.edu/careers?job=492751 to find more details about the job and submit applications online.
Applications must include:
- A letter of application addressing all required qualifications.
- A curriculum vitae.
- A separate statement of teaching philosophy and experience (2 page limit).
- A separate statement of research plans that includes projects to engage undergraduate students (3 page limit).
- Copies of graduate and undergraduate transcripts (unofficial copies are acceptable).
- Contact information (name, telephone number, and email address) for three professional references (at least one of whom can speak to teaching ability).
Questions about this position may be addressed to:
Dr. Raja Annamalai at (608)342-6091or firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Mohammad Rabbani at (608)342-7344 or email@example.com