The Coating/Paint Formulation Chemist will work as a member of a technical team performing research, development and testing in the areas of coatings to improve corrosion mitigation as well as other performance parameters required by the US Navy to reduce total ownership costs. Work will include formulation and testing, development of test protocols to validate improvement of performance parameters, establishment of repair requirements and protocols for example for ship’s force use, and shipboard demonstration and fleet transition of these coatings. The coatings will include rudder coatings, thermal barrier coatings, and direct to metal coatings. The candidate will also assist in the qualification and development of business case analysis for fleet transition of these coatings. The position is full time in Washington, DC, with occasional travel to Key West, FL.
This position is responsible for leading activities related to new product development and the improvement of existing coating/paint systems, while providing support to internal and external stake holders.
- Contribute to the assessment, development, reformulation, quality, maintenance, and enhancement of products through planning, executing, and analysis of experiments with clear and accurate results.
- Demonstrate in depth understanding of coating formulation and how it relates to coating requirements
- The products developed and/or enhanced will meet strict performance and quality requirements. Advanced technologies will be utilized to develop products that demonstrate quantifiable improvements in lowering total ownership costs to the US Navy
- Demonstrate significant knowledge and use of chemicals, raw materials, substrates, and instruments
- The candidate will conduct research on methods of evaluating and insuring adhesion of paints and coatings to and between metallic and non-metallic substrates. This work should include the design of new and novel test methods, the study of surface functionalization and improved adhesives
- Provide timely and accurate solutions to multiple customer problems of moderate to difficult complexity and to develop methods of moderate complexity, when necessary, as an individual contributor, team member or team leader
- Good understanding of the underlying scientific principles in paint formulation / processing
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or Materials Engineering with two or more semesters of Organic Chemistry; Advanced degrees are preferred
- Applicant must have direct experience in coating and/or paint formulation
- Minimum 4 years of hands-on lab experience in coating industry
- The successful candidate will be able to immediately execute technical support at the bench and in the field.
- Must be able to walk, write, and type on a frequent basis, and will be required to lift and carry up to 15 pounds.
- May work indoors and outdoors as needed; exposure to heat up to 110 degrees and cold to 0 degrees.
- May work in areas where noise level is such that hearing protection is required, such as on a US Navy ship or shipyard
- May work in areas where toxic, flammable, and hazardous materials are present – must be able to wear a respirator as required
- May be exposed to varying amounts of dust and dirt
- Work surfaces may include concrete
- Some travel to other locations, meetings and/or seminars is required
- For contractually required security reasons only US citizens will be considered (monster)
- For contractually required security reasons only DoD Secret or above personnel will be considered (clearancejobs)
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- MS in Coating Chemistry preferred
Type of Position: Full-Time
Travel: Occasional travel to Key West, FL
Excet, Inc. is a growing research services firm specializing in science and engineering.
Excet, Inc. offers a collaborative team culture where you can use your skills and experience to advance your career and make a difference. We’re looking for intellectual curiosity, a high level of comfort with complexity, and a desire to work in a wide range of challenging environments. We continue to attract and retain the best workforce in the field.
The company specializes in finding the right people for any research, engineering, or project management challenge. We offer an employee benefits package and overall cost structure that attracts and retains the highest quality of employee.
If you have talent, experience, and a desire to advance your career, come join our team.
Excet, Inc. is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity and participates in E-Verify.