Head of Catalysis in Process Chemistry & CatHead of Catalysis in Process Chemistry & Catalysisalysis
As the Head of Catalysis you will be leading the catalysis center of excellence (metal and bio catalysis) in the Process Chemistry & Catalysis department within the Small Molecules Technical Development (PTDC) organization.
Behind every product sold by Roche is the strong involvement of Pharma Global Technical Operations (PT). Starting with Phase I of the clinical development process and continuing through to product maturity, PT makes medicines at sites around the world and includes more than 10000 employees worldwide.
Global Technical Development (PTD) is an organization within PT of over two thousand people globally that are integral for the mission of Roche to develop new, efficacious medicines for patients. Therefore, PTD actively collaborates and develops innovative technical solutions to bridge early-stage, late-stage and commercial product needs. The mandate of this unit is to reliably deliver the pipeline and supply quality products to patients. The unit excels in its work through innovation, collaboration, dedication, and mutual respect and adds value every day, continuously improving what it does.
Small Molecules Technical Development (PTDC) within the PTD unit brings a broad range of experience across drug substance (DS), drug product (DP), analytical sciences and manufacturing science & technology, and collaborates closely with key partners in the departments Research and Early Development (pRED / gRED), commercial manufacturing (PTC) and PTD. PTDC is responsible for late stage technical development of our small molecules pipeline, manufacture of DS and DP for clinical studies and Manufacturing Science and Technology (MSAT) across our small molecules manufacturing network.
In the Process Chemistry & Catalysis department, we design and develop robust and cost effective DS processes using state of the art science and methodologies and the external workbench to deliver the company’s portfolio of small molecules from entry into human through transfer to commercial manufacturing, including optimal support for regulatory submissions.
- Lead the Roche global catalysis center of excellence, consisting of metal and bio catalysis laboratories (approx. 18 employees), by defining and following-up on individual goals, objectives and development plans. This will involve evaluating performance, leading, motivating, coaching and developing staff (from technicians to senior scientists)
- Actively contribute, as a member of the Process Chemistry and Catalysis leadership team, in defining the departmental strategy and in setting, monitoring and delivering departmental goals
- Foster and strengthen catalysis by maintaining a state-of-the-art technology proficiency in knowledge areas pertinent to application of catalytic processes during all the stages of development
- Evaluate and, whenever appropriate, implement innovative catalytic transformations to new and/or improved chemical routes and processes during all the stages of development and also for large-scale manufacturing
- Enhance catalysis screening capabilities by advancing external collaboration and acquiring relevant technology, for example accelerate the high throughput screening capabilities for metal- and bio-catalyzed reactions
- Timely implement the catalytic steps and successfully transfer these processes to Process Chemistry laboratories and/or manufacturing plants during all the stages of development
- Ensure proper resource allocation and high standards for data generation, safe laboratory environment and adherence of the group to EHS rules and programs
Who you are
You’re someone who wants to influence your own development. You’re looking for a company where you have the opportunity to pursue your interests across functions and geographies. Where a job title is not considered the final definition of who you are, but the starting point.
For this position a Ph.D. and postdoc in synthetic organic chemistry with a minimum of 10 years of industrial experience in the field of catalysis, namely homogeneous and heterogeneous metal-catalyzed processes, preferentially in the pharmaceutical environment, are required. These competences are demonstrated by publications in scientific peer-reviewed journals and patents.
- Knowledge in enzymatic & microbial transformations, fermentation and large-scale manufacturing and continuous processing will be an advantage
- Experience in design and application of catalytic transformations in manufacturing of small molecules. You are familiar with the technical, legal, intellectual properties and regulatory aspects and you have a profound understanding of manufacturing in a GMP environment
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a leadership position with excellent organizational, planning and communication skills. You have strong collaboration and interpersonal skills with proven high-level influencing and negotiation skills as well as excellent skills at building and maintaining constructive and effective relationships with team members as well as internal and external stakeholders
- Proficiency in English and basic knowledge of German are required
Who we are
Basel is the headquarters of the Roche Group and one of its most important centres of pharmaceutical research. Over 8,500 people from approximately 90 countries work in Basel, which is one of Roche`s largest sites.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.