Research Assistant/Associate, Grain Applications Research (BS/MS) (017344W-01)
At DuPont Industrial Biosciences, we strive to deliver modern biotechnology solutions to meet our customer’s needs. We work with nature to create transformational new products, new businesses and even new industries that make the world better for us all to share. Our business addresses markets such as biofuels, carbohydrate processing, animal nutrition, food, detergents, textiles, carpets, and personal care.
We are currently seeking an enthusiastic and dynamic individual to join our Application Research Team at our Industrial Biosciences Technology and Innovation Center in Palo Alto, CA.
You are a curious and self-motivated individual with a strong chemical engineering or biochemistry/biotechnology background. You will join our research and product development interdisciplinary project teams, providing experimental data to drive decisions. These teams are responsible for discovering, optimizing and scaling-up enzyme and yeast technologies across a wide range of applications, providing sustainable solutions to change the world.
- Development of relevant small-scale model systems to predict enzyme and/or yeast performance in customer processes (Fuel Ethanol industry and/or Carbohydrate Processing industry)
- Develop biochemical and enzymatic assays to predict enzyme performance in model systems, and implement assays for automation and high-throughput screening
- Operate robotic liquid and sample handling devices
- Operate and maintain various spectrophotometric and LC instruments for protein/yeast and assay analysis
- Summarize experiments, manage and analyze data and prepare reports
- Maintain and improve efficient daily work-place operations
- The successful candidate will regularly interact with project scientists to advance projects goals
- May organize and supervise work for assigned projects and other team members, and coordinate experiments with other DuPont research locations
- B.S./M.S. in (Bio)chemistry, (Bio)chemical engineering, Microbiology, Biotechnology or a related field with at least 2-5 years of practical lab experience in an academic, pharmaceutical, or biotechnology setting
- The successful candidate must be motivated and creative with strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Solid understanding of biochemical assays for enzymatic activity, experience with protein expression and laboratory reagent preparation.
- Familiarity with routine chemical/enzymatic analysis and assays with good reproducibility is required
- Good record-keeping and organizational skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent written and oral communication abilities are required, along with the desire to work both independently and collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team
- Experience in small-scale fermentations is desirable
Familiarity with software tools (or advanced Excel skills) used in one or more of the following contexts is highly desirable: enzyme kinetics studies; statistical analysis of biochemical screening data; advanced data visualization (e.g. Spotfire, Tableau); design-of-experiment (DOE) approaches (e.g. JMP)
DowDuPont (NYSE: DWDP) is a holding company comprised of The Dow Chemical Company and DuPont with the intent to form strong, independent, publicly traded companies in agriculture, materials science and specialty products sectors that will lead their respective industries through productive, science-based innovation to meet the needs of customers and help solve global challenges. For more information, please visit us at www.dow-dupont.com.
The positions represented by this job posting are aligned to one of the three divisions, Agriculture, Materials Science or Specialty Products, which are expected to separate from DowDuPont into stand-alone public companies in late 2018 or early 2019. Information on the division alignment will be provided during the recruitment process.