Lecturer in Chemistry
The University of Southern Maine (USM) invites applications for a full-time, non-tenure track, Lecturer in Chemistry to begin Aug. 15, 2018. The length of the initial appointment will be for one academic year with expected reappointment based on performance and mutual agreement as a renewable contract.
Full-time Lecturers typically teach four courses per academic semester. Primary teaching responsibilities will include introductory level lecture and laboratory courses. Teaching obligations may include Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry or Biochemistry laboratories and upper level courses on a rotational basis. Additional responsibilities may include coordinating with the Honors Program to develop, support or oversee engaging experiences beyond the classroom for STEM Honors students. The successful candidate will have a strong commitment to excellence in undergraduate teaching and community engagement.
The USM Chemistry department is an ACS-accredited program offering undergraduate degrees in chemistry and biochemistry, including a BA in chemistry with emphasis on secondary education. For more information see www.usm.maine.edu/chy/.
The University community is committed to building a culturally diverse team of leaders, faculty and staff. We strongly encourage applications from female and minority candidates.
USM is dedicated to providing students with a high-quality, accessible, affordable education. USM’s strategic focus is in alignment with the Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities and we are seeking to become a Carnegie Engaged University by the year 2020. USM offers Baccalaureate, Master's, and Doctoral programs, providing students with rich learning and community engagement opportunities in the arts, humanities, politics, health sciences, business, mass communications, science, engineering, and technology. Further information on USM can be found at www.usm.maine.edu.
USM’s three environmentally friendly campuses are unique, yet all share the extensive resources of the university — and all are energized through strong community partnerships. Offering easy access to Boston, plus the ocean, mountains and forests of coastal, inland and northern Maine, USM is at the heart of Maine's most exciting metropolitan region:
- Our Portland campus is located in "one of America’s most livable cities," according to Forbes magazine, which also ranks Portland among the top 10 for job prospects. A creative and diverse community on Maine’s scenic coast, Portland is nationally known as a "foodie" hot spot!
- USM’s beautiful residential Gorham campus supports and celebrates excellence in academics, athletics, music and the arts and is home to ten Living Learning Communities and six Residential Communities.
- Our Lewiston campus is home to USM’s innovative and richly diverse Lewiston-Auburn College. This Central Maine campus integrates classroom, community and workplace, and provides a small college experience with the resources of a large university.
- Master’s degree with five or more years teaching experience
- Teaching experience
- Experience in community engagement.
- Evidence of commitment to diversity, student success and active learning
Apply online at: http://usm.hiretouch.com/view-all-jobs. You will create an applicant profile and complete an application. You will need to upload a cover letter, resume/curriculum vitae, a list of the names and contact information for three references, and a one-page statement of your teaching philosophy.
Review of completed applications will begin on November 5, 2017. Materials received after this date may be considered at the discretion of the University.
Appropriate background screening will be conducted for the successful candidate.
USM is an EEO/AA employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.