Catalyst Research Chemist
Chevron Phillips Chemical has an opening for a research chemist in the Polyolefins Catalyst & Product Development department located at our research facilities in Bartlesville, OK. CPChem is looking for a talented and motivated Catalyst Research Chemist with an ambition to grow in a research environment. The successful candidate will join an enthusiastic group of scientists responsible for the discovery, development, and commercialization of polyethylene catalysts applied to improving polyethylene processes or products. In this role, the successful applicant will be required to carry out appropriate testing and evaluation of catalysts and stay abreast of cutting edge developments in the area.
Roles and Responsibility
- Ensure that all aspects of process operations are conducted in a manner consistent with the Operational Excellence programs within Chevron Phillips Chemical Co. including all internal and external safety and environmental regulations and standards.
- Discover, develop, and commercialize catalyst technology applied the production of polyethylene polymers.
- Designs and conducts independent, accurate and defendable scientific R/D activities
- Benchmarking experimental catalysts with current commercial catalyst
- Ability to document research with internal or external reports and presentations of value to CPChem
- Plan and conduct experiments to expand and generate technical knowledge and commercial application.
- Organize and develop appropriate testing of catalysts and co-catalysts.
- Support commercialization efforts by working within and / or leading project teams
- Utilize knowledge of industry to assist research efforts in addressing unmet needs
- Represents CPChem interests in attending professional society meetings and make contributions in area of expertise
- PhD in Chemistry
- Minimum 4-5 years of research experience with expertise in inorganic chemistry, e.g. silica, alumina or other oxide materials, especially experience with colloidal chemistry, analysis, and applications
- Demonstrated track record of conducting independent creative research with a desire to develop a research career
- Catalytic and colloidal science experience preferred.
Functional and Technical Skills
- Conducts or participates in research safely using scientific principles
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Collaborative teamwork abilities
- Safe laboratory operations.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office tools
- Self-starter, results-focused and execution-minded. Takes initiative in defining and building scope of assigned projects providing solutions to a variety of catalysts of impact to emerging business needs
- Adaptable to changing business needs
Leadership / Responsibility
- Requires only general supervisory direction. Determines and develops approach to solutions
- May supervise activities of technicians and support other team members