BioTech Patent Agent
BioTech Patent Agent
Department: Technology Specialists
Office: San Francisco, CA
We are looking for a Patent Agent with a Ph.D. in the biological sciences to join our San Francisco office. Ideal candidates will have a minimum of 3 years of experience. Apply by sending your resume, cover letter, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org and referencing this position in the subject line of your e-mail. Search Firms with an active fee agreement are also welcome to submit candidate materials to email@example.com for this position.
Patent Agents work under the supervision and guidance of partners and associates in our Intellectual Property section and perform a variety of patent-related activities, primarily in the areas of patent prosecution, freedom to operate analysis, and due diligence work. Specific duties include the following:
· Work with clients on innovative and cutting edge biotechnology to procure patent protection by drafting and prosecuting patent applications.
· Assist with patent strategy for creating IP portfolios
· Manage IP portfolios and coordinate world-wide prosecution with foreign associates in various foreign jurisdictions.
· Assess scientific literature, patents and patent application documents in a variety of biology fields
· Assist in IP diligence on biotech initial public offerings (IPO) and other capital markets transactions
· Work with venture capitalist on IP diligence for potential investments
· Work on IP landscapes to identify third party patents and patent applications
· Collaborate with colleagues on various projects.
· Adapt effectively in different team environment.
· Present ideas, reasoning and conclusions in a concise way to colleagues.
· Ph.D. degree in the biological life science area (e.g., Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Immunology or related areas)
· Demonstrated knowledge in some of the following scientific fields: biology, cell biology, cancer biology, immunology, molecular biology, and/or chemistry
· Demonstrated scientific writing ability using proper grammar and vocabulary which also includes the following skills: analyzing and explaining abstract scientific concepts and terms synthesizing a large amount of scientific or technological literature into a systematic and concise description of the state of the art; and differentiating and describing important differences among related scientific discoveries or technological breakthroughs.
· Demonstrated skills verbally presenting scientific concepts, terms, and discoveries to wide audiences, including scientists and non-scientists.
· Several years’ of patent prosecution experience