Lab Manager for Chemistry Intro Teaching Labs
1 day left
- Job Type
- Full time
We are seeking applications for an open position as the Lab Manager for the Chemistry teaching lab. This is a staff position with significant opportunities for creative development of pedagogical materials, and for establishing new Chemistry teaching labs. DKU is launching its interdisciplinary undergraduate program in fall of 2018. The lab manager will initially play an important role in equipping the new teaching labs and establishing lab protocols in preparation for the first introductory courses in fall 2018, with a later focus on helping to develop labs for upper-level and interdisciplinary courses. The lab manager will also be responsible for coordinating day-to-day operation of the teaching labs; setting up teaching labs, and preparing and maintaining lab equipment and manuals. Collaboration with faculty members on designing and implementing classroom demonstrations and pedagogical activities is also expected. For candidates in such specialty, working knowledge of lab techniques in the other areas will be considered advantageous. The position has a career development and advancement potential within the university. Depending on qualifications, a higher-level position could also be considered for exceptional cases.
Reports to and works under the general supervision of a faculty member designated by the Dean of the Natural Sciences or the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.
1. Order all laboratory equipment, reagents and other materials and supplies required for activities in the introductory teaching labs;
2. Help to prepare a lab manual for the introductory teaching labs;
3. Maintain an up-to-date inventory of all the teaching lab equipment, and track changes, depreciation and disposal of equipment;
4. Work with faculty to develop and review manuals and instruction for upper-level and interdisciplinary labs;
5. Maintain up-to-date inventory of lab materials on a website;
6. Prepare SOP for the teaching lab and equipment operation;
7. Manage the handling and storage of existing laboratory experiments, equipment and supplies;
8. Obtain or/and prepare specimens, standard reagents, dyes, solutions and any other required materials for the labs;
9. Supervise the training of students to follow appropriate procedures for use and for safe handling of equipment and materials;
10. Coordinate chemical spill response as specified in related Materials Safety Data Sheet for biology and chemistry teaching labs;
11. Observe students in the labs and diagnose areas where additional instruction is needed;
12. Discuss scientific and procedural issues with students and provides explanation, clarification, reference materials or examples;
13. Do related work as assigned;
14. University employees' job responsibilities may evolve in appropriate ways as the University grows.
1. A Master’s degree in Chemistry is required, Ph.D. degree is preferred;
2. Three years of working experience in the specialty area or a related area, preferably in an academic setting;
3. Good organizational skills and knowledge of applicable rules, regulations and procedures;
4. Good communication and problem solving skills;
5. Knowledge of relevant equipment, tools, and instructional methods;
6. Working experience and knowledge of best practices and protocols for handling of biological and hazardous materials;
7. Fluency in English;
8. Experience with computational tools including Python programming and software packages for introductory chemistry and statistics will be considered a major advantage.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply for Lab Manager for Chemistry Intro Teaching Labs
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly