Provides technical leadership in analytical chemistry with emphasis in trace determination of environmental contaminants in animal tissues in support of toxicology studies and advises project teams in areas of expertise. Manages programs in technical areas of expertise that may require multidisciplinary involvement from staff in more than one technical division or the use of subcontractors. Contributes to divisional planning process, provides guidance to lower-level staff, leads marketing and proposal activities. Directs the technical activities of individuals and groups.
Nature and Scope
The Principal Chemist reports administratively to a Section Manager or a Division Director. Manages large programs that potentially involve multiple divisions and subcontractors. Directs or monitors direction of several large or critical projects. Directs preparation of reports. Deals regularly with top-level contacts in client organizations. Holds positions in one or more societies or committees. Directs the activities of individuals and groups toward the accomplishment of program goals, directs allocation of resources, and establishes schedule to meet program deadlines. Actively participates in marketing activities of the division. Staff functioning at this level will generally spend most of their time on technical leadership activities.
Client accountabilities specific to this position:
- Subject matter expert in applications of analytical chemistry to trace determination of environmental contaminants in tissue samples in support of toxicology studies. Critical thinking for selecting appropriate steps in isolation of target compound with suitable extraction and clean up followed by LC/MS/MS, with considerations for chemical stability
- Displays confidence in ability to apply technical knowledge and experience to solve client problems.. Determines best approach to achieve optimized detection limit, minimize carryover in analytical system and improve method selectivity, accuracy, and precision. Advises client on appropriate sample collection and preservatives to ensure integrity of samples during storage.
- Ability to design experiments for free and total (unconjugated) detection of chemical in tissue samples. Communicates work status, concerns, and expectations about plans with the client.
Internal Process accountabilities specific to this position:
- Reviews proposed project work to determine technical feasibility within proposed cost, schedule, resources, and performance constraints.
- Reviews final reports within the division to determine if quality standards have been met and client deliverables satisfied.
- Provides a significant contribution in the planning and implementation of new technology development.
- Keeps abreast of current technological developments in own area of specialization as well as related fields.
- Publishes technical papers and participates in professional societies through presentations and committee or participates as an officer.
- Develops skills and competencies in others by planning effective developmental activities related to current and future job assignments.
- Ability to effectively communicate expectations, assess client needs, gain acceptance of a scientifically sound approach, and interact with technical staff at all levels in a team-based environment.
- Leadership abilities with strong problem solving aptitude.
- Determines schedule of events, communicates expectations about tasks and deadlines, and develops contingency plans.
- Maintains a sense of urgency in communicating results to meet Client Expectations.
Ph.D. in specified study area plus a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in analytical chemistry application to toxicology studies; or MS in specified study area plus a minimum of 12 years of relevant experience in analytical chemistry application to toxicology studies; or BS in specified study area plus a minimum of 18 years of relevant experience in analytical chemistry application to toxicology studies.
- Experience with Adsorption, Distribution, Metabolism, and Excretion (ADME) methodology is a plus since the candidate may oversee contractors performing mass balance ADME studies.
MRIGlobal, an independent research and development organization, delivers solutions in global health, national security and defense, and energy and the environment. The organization perform scientific research, advanced engineering, and program integration and management for clients in industry, government, and academia. Established in 1944 as Midwest Research Institute, MRIGlobal is based in Kansas City, Mo., and operates in nine states and Washington, D.C. MRIGlobal employs more than 500 and manages 2,600-plus workers through management and operations programs with various clients.
It is the policy of MRIGlobal to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other applicable federal or state protected classification.