Process Research Scientist
The Process Research Scientist will initiate research projects for the discovery, optimization, and scale-up of processes for a variety of internal PBI products, custom manufacturing projects, and projects received from Promega. Will conduct the chemistry at all stages of the processes, validating procedures and maintaining accurate and complete records of the work.
The required qualifications for this position are:
- Ph.D. and 0-2 years experience in organic chemistry synthesis or Masters Degree with 2-4 years strong experience in process development in organic synthesis.
- Ability to synergistically combine a creative mindset with an extremely solid understanding of chemistry theory and synthesis techniques to solve complex problems, both independently and collaboratively.
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Experience communicating research goals and progress to internal and external stakeholders in a clear, concise, and diplomatic manner.
- Competent in running various instrument and analytical processing software.
- Knowledge of fluorescence technology and/or biochemistry helpful.
- Experience in one or more of the following specialty areas preferred: flow chemistry, crystallization/fluid dynamics, or catalysis.
- Design of processes for optimization, and scale-up of a variety projects. Apply novel methods of experimentation to solve complex problems, which ultimately lead to products.
- Organize and direct assigned projects and develop individual research plans.
- Organize and develop documentation of program results and status for presentation to the research team and business associates. Maintain accurate research documentation.
- Assist in and facilitate the transfer of the scaled-up process into the manufacturing group.
- Attend R&D meetings and contribute creatively to current and prospective projects.
- May conduct educational seminars within the department to advance technical and theoretical competence.
- Conduct interpretive literature reviews for future project ideas. Present oral and written reports to outside scientific collaborators and/or business associates as directed by upper management.
- Maintain high level of knowledge related to current developments in scientific field of expertise.
- Perform all laboratory projects in accordance with established safety procedures in assigned laboratory or work area. Responsible for monitoring safety practices of assigned personnel.
- Advise and interact with the manufacturing staff on technical questions in order to transfer the process to the manufacturing department. May direct activities of others and establish objectives for accomplishing a specific segment of the total research plan.
- Understand and comply with all elements of the PBI quality system appropriate for this position. All employees must complete assigned duties in a safe manner, thoroughly familiarizing themselves with safety concerns, such as reading safety data sheets, wearing necessary protective clothing, including safety glasses, chemical resistant gloves, respirators, etc.
- All employees are required to attend regularly scheduled safety meetings. Responsible for monitoring safety practices of assigned area.
- Must be able to create monthly reports and research summaries.
- Must be fully competent in arithmetic, algebra and basic statistical analysis.
- Capable of executing complex experimental protocols with accuracy and consistency. Requires good organizational skills.
- Capable of accurately reproducing experimental results from established protocols.
- Other essential skills: Decision‑making, perception and analysis, comprehension and memorization.
- Corrected vision for near (within 20 cm) and far (greater than 3 m) activities.
- Able to speak clearly and simply.
- Good hand, arm and finger dexterity.
- Laboratory work requires some walking, lifting, pushing, pulling, kneeling, stooping, bending, sitting, squatting, standing and carrying of up to 20 pounds, and climbing stairs.
Because all processes are conducted according to safety and environmental procedures, exposures will be minimal and below OSHA permissible levels as published in the chemical safety data sheet. Proper protection (i.e. fume hoods and PPE) will be required and provided. Exposure to cold, freezing, sub-freezing temperatures, high temperatures or noise from equipment may occur.
Promega Biosciences, located in San Luis Obispo, blends innovative research in chemistry with excellence in manufacturing to meet the rapidly changing needs of the scientific community. We synthesize and manufacture essential reagents to help Promega succeed as a life science leader.
Our areas of expertise include synthesis, process design and scale-up, and commercial manufacturing (grams to kilograms) of modified luciferins and coelenterazines. These pro-bioluminescent products aid in life science research. We bring pride, passion, and purpose to our work and the products we provide.
Promega Biosciences offers its employees a work environment that encourages creativity, work-life balance, and personal and professional growth. We support community involvement and are committed to being good stewards and reducing our impact on the environment. Promega fosters a positive, fun, and warm family culture. To learn more about our values, please visit our Corporate Responsibility website.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package including comprehensive medical insurance, dental and vision insurance, 401k matching, company-paid life insurance, time-off benefits, and more.
Our San Luis Obispo facility is at the heart of California’s beautiful central coast. San Luis Obispo is a destination for wine aficionados, nature lovers, and pleasure-seekers alike. You might enjoy views of the Pacific Ocean from one of our scenic Nine Sisters, a chain of volcanic peaks that run along the coast. Or, spend a day gallivanting around the many wineries, local boutiques, and renowned restaurants in the area. Proclaimed as the “happiest town in the USA”, our community provides a rich and rewarding place to live and play. To learn more about San Luis Obispo, check out the VisitSLO website.
Diversity is important at Promega. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and make employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.