Environmental Health and Safety Officer
ABOUT POMONA COLLEGE: Located near Los Angeles, California, Pomona College is widely regarded as one of the nation's premier liberal arts colleges. Established in 1887, Pomona College is known for small classes, a challenging curriculum, close relationships between students and faculty, and a range of student research and leadership opportunities. Pomona is a member of The Claremont Colleges.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Environmental Health and Safety Officer (EHSO) oversees chemical, biological radiation, laser, and machine shop safety while ensuring compliance with the EPA, Cal/OSHA, California Department of Public Health, California Radiologic Health Branch, and other federal, state and local regulatory agencies. The EHSO will develop and implement a comprehensive laboratory safety program based on regulatory requirements, best management practices, and the College policy.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Reporting directly to the Director, Sponsored Research, the EHSO performs the following essential duties and responsibilities:
- Administer and annually evaluate the effectiveness of the College’s Chemical Hygiene Plan to ensure compliance with the Cal/OSHA Standard 8 CCR 5191, Occupational Exposure to Hazardous Chemicals in the Laboratories.
- Serve as the campus Radiation Safety Officer (RSO) and member of the Radiation Safety Committee, approving radioisotope purchases, maintaining records of radioisotope users, and maintaining records of used isotopes and waste materials.
- Implement and manage the college hazardous waste (chemical, biohazard, medical, and universal) disposal program to ensure compliance with the Environmental Protection Agency and other state and local regulations.
- Maintain proper records and filing reports of hazardous waste and other environmental safety programs.
- Ensure that Safety Data Sheet (SDS) and chemical inventories are available and current in teaching and research labs and on the SDS Online system.
- Evaluate the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) by faculty, staff, and students in laboratory areas.
- Conduct comprehensive laboratory safety inspections to ensure that safety deficiencies are corrected in a timely manner. Investigate incidents in laboratory/chemical handling areas including spills/releases; determine causes of incidents and recommend corrective action.
- Develop and conduct appropriate safety training for faculty, staff, and students working in the laboratories, including safe handling and disposal of biohazardous material.
- Coordinate special projects/tasks and provide assistance as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: A BA, BS or MA degree in chemistry, industrial hygiene or an appropriate scientific field is required. Possession of a Certified Chemical Hygiene Officer (CCHO), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), or Certified Safety Professional (CSP) is desirable. Prior, qualified experience that will ensure expert technical guidance and direction in the development and implementation of all provisions of an effective and safe chemical hygiene plan is also necessary. Extensive knowledge and experience with chemistry laboratory, and animal laboratory procedures as well as research at an institution of higher education will be valuable. Demonstrated effectiveness and clarity of verbal and written communication with excellent interpersonal communication and phone manners. Must handle all activities and highly confidential information with patience, discretion, tact, and a keen eye for detail while working with people from a wide variety of backgrounds. Must have the ability to interact effectively and efficiently with faculty, staff, and students. Must have exceptional organizational, time management and communication skills to complete work with accuracy and attention to detail.
REQUIRED HOURS: The regular hours for this full time position are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday. Holiday, weekend and evening work hours may be required. Travel may be required. Regular hours may vary due to needs of the College or division.
POMONA COLLEGE REWARDS: Pomona College offers a wide variety of benefits and perks including health, dental, and vision plan options; paid time off; flexible spending accounts; retirement benefits; tuition assistance; fitness and wellness programs; rideshare incentives; and so much more!
Pomona College prides itself in being an open, competitive, and equal opportunity employer.