College Laboratory Technician (Chemistry)
College Laboratory Technician (Chemistry)
Job ID: 17824
Location: Hunter College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Performs highly-skilled laboratory functions and other technical duties in support of coursework.
- Sets up, maintains, and organizes student laboratories
- Assists students with setting up experiments and other learning exercises, and with the use of equipment and materials
- Maintains appropriate safety and hygiene standards
- Maintains required documentation related to laboratory activities
- Manages equipment and materials inventories.
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Reporting to the Chief CLT, the College Laboratory Technician (CLT) will be responsible for the preparation, setup, and maintenance of laboratory experiments in biochemistry, biophysics, and special sections of organic chemistry. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Working with the Chief CLT on ordering and preparing reagents and laboratory equipment for lab experiments;
- Preparing equipment for the experiments, helping with their operation, and performing general equipment maintenance;
- Creating/maintaining binders for the biochemistry and biophysics labs;
- Assisting and working with other CLT’s and teaching assistants with setting up experiments, making sure that the laboratory is organized and prepared after each class;
- Keeping computer records of the chemical and equipment inventory and preparing and distributing paperwork such as check in, check out sheets, safety information, forms for specific experiments;
- Work with professors and students to run/organize demos in the lecture room or the laboratory, and assist with the training of new teaching assistants.
The CLT will also perform related departmental and stockroom duties as needed, in support of coursework.
The CLT must be highly committed to safety procedures and best practices regarding hazardous material handling, including but not limited to oversight of safety equipment and adherence to their codes, enforcement of safety regulations, disposal of chemical waste according to regulation, and organization in laboratories and stockroom according to best safety practices.
The CLT staff is a team, so working with other College Laboratory Technicians in helping out with other labs when there is a shortage of staff and covering for absences of other CLT’s is essential. Hours for this position are approximately 2:30 to 10:30. The CLT must maintain respectful and professional relationships with all the department faculty and staff.
High School Diploma with a minimum of four years' related experience. Additional education may be used to meet the experience requirement: an Associate degree may be substituted for two years experience, and a Bachelor's degree may be substituted for four years experience.
Salary range: Commensurate with experience. $40,627 - $58,921
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the application instructions. Please have your curriculum vitae/ resume and scholarly interest or cover letter with names and contact information of 3 references available to attach into the application before you begin. Please note that the required material must be uploaded as ONE document. The document must be in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format- and name of file should not exceed ten (10) characters. Incomplete application packages will not be considered.
We receive many applicants and typically do not provide status information. While we respond to thank all applicants, additional follow-up is limited to those deemed most qualified who are under active consideration.
The committee will begin reviewing applications on February 1, 2018. The search will remain open until the position is filled
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.