Professor of Chemistry, Roskilde University – Department of Science and Environment
Department of Science and Environment, Roskilde University, invites applications for a position as professor of chemistry in the areas of analytical, inorganic or theoretical chemistry from 1 April 2018 or as soon as possible thereafter.
The chemistry section is active in a variety of research areas, including solar cells, enzyme design and characterization, natural products, drug delivery and sustainable reaction pathways. The section also has strong links with a number of complementary research programs within the department, examples of which may be found on the University homepage. Therefore, applicants with an interest in collaboration across discipline boundaries that complement ongoing activities in the department, such as with biology for example, and further develop international cooperation, are encouraged to apply. Roskilde University has a strategic focus on cross-disciplinary science, industrial collaboration, and student recruitment, and the professor must be willing to support this strategy with the drive to develop new collaboration platforms. The professor will teach in an interdisciplinary environment and engage in problem-oriented project work with extensive student involvement and responsibility.
The professor’s duties will comprise research at the highest international level and a strong commitment to teaching in the chemistry study program. The Department seeks to build capacity in the areas of analytical, inorganic or theoretical chemistry, in which the new professor will establish a leading research group. The position is therefore open to applicants working in these areas of chemistry, or their combination with any other area or areas of chemistry. The Department of Science and Environment has a strategic aim to increase external collaboration with private companies and public institutions. Therefore, candidates with a university record of accomplishment, an industrial research background, or both are invited to apply for the position.
Read more at https://ruc.dk/en/department-science-and-environment.
Responsibilities and tasks
The professor’s main duty is to undertake research and research-based teaching within the field of research.
The professor is expected to maintain a significant record of publication, to encourage research achievement and to nurture a research culture within the research group. You will also be expected to secure external research funding, and participate actively in research networks. You will be required to teach, supervise and assess students at BSc and MSc levels as well as PhD students. This also implies developing the field in relation to teaching. As professor you will be required to participate in post-doctoral training and be responsible for the supervision of assistant professors as well as take part in academic assessments. The position also includes a duty to share knowledge with the rest of society – including participation in public debate.
Finally you will be expected to contribute to management and leadership through engagement in the Department.
The successful candidate is expected to
- document a high level of original scientific production at an international level within his or her research area,
- have strong leadership competences and be interested in leading a research group,
- contribute to the teaching within the chemistry group, and the development of its teaching programs.
Applicants must hold a PhD degree or equivalent within chemistry. Qualifications within one or more the following scientific areas are required analytical, inorganic or theoretical chemistry:
- Documented scientific qualifications such as an associate professor equivalent in relation to the above mentioned subject area(s).
- Experience with education in relation to lectures, research and laboratory projects, and multidisciplinary work.
You are also required to be enterprising and to possess good interpersonal skills and to be a visible, active participant in the department’s daily activities, in addition to being willing to engage in disciplinary and interdisciplinary collaboration across the department.
In the assessment of the candidates consideration will be given to;
- original scientific production at an international level in relation to the above-mentioned field(s),
- development of the field,
- experience with providing dynamic leadership in the development of research and teaching,
- the ability to promote and utilize research results,
- experience in teaching and education,
- ability to contribute to development of the department’s internal and external cooperation,
- a track record in securing external research funding.
For further information about the position, please contact acting Head of Department Peter Westh on tel. (+45) 4674 2879 or email: email@example.com and/or acting Head of the Chemistry Group William Goldring (+45) 4674 2308 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms of employment
The employment is on full time and you will refer to the Head of Department.
The position will be filled according to the Agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC). The position is covered by the Protocol on Job Structure.
Commencing salary will be minimum DKK 596.794 per year (1st April 2017 level) plus pension contribution (17.1 %).
Read more about the recruitment process at Roskilde University here.
To apply for the position: Go to Roskilde University’s website. Click the 'Search Position' button in the job posting
Only applications in English are accepted.
Applications must include:
- Cover letter
- Documentation of education
- Teaching portfolio (read more about teaching portfolio at Roskilde University here)
- A complete list of publications
- Co-author declaration If any of the publications that you have included in the assessment are the result of a joint effort, the extent and the nature of the applicant’s contribution to each individual work must then be clarified in a co-author statement. (please find template here - to be signed only by you)
- A maximum of 7 relevant scientific works that you want included in the assessment.
- A brief description (2-3 pages of your plans for development of the academic field in regard to both research and education, including a short description of how you view your qualifications in relation.
- A short description stating your most important scientific work relevant to the position and your contribution to such work (2-3 pages)
- Documentation of additional research qualifications, including:
- experience in research management or other managerial functions
- track record in fundraising
Please submit your application no later than 15. January 2018. (Please note that the application deadline has been changed from 1 January 2018 in a previous version of the notice)
Material received after this date will not be taken into consideration.
Roskilde University welcomes applications from suitably qualified candidates regardless of age, gender, race, religion or ethnic background.