This position will develop, validate, and execute analytical chemical analysis/laboratory testing of ingredients, in-process materials, finished products and stability materials. This role interacts routinely with our Flavor Creation group to develop novel and winning flavors for the food, beverage and nutrition industry segments. This role also is a key component of Synergy’s Research function and has responsibilities to support the Quality function as well as our Hamilton, OH and Brazil businesses. The selected candidate will work within our Analytical Chemistry team based in our Chicago-area headquarters. Key responsibilities include technical excellence around the development of methods, laboratory instrumentation and maintenance, application of expertise to both routine and novel challenges, and creative/intellectual input into the flavor and product development process. We are seeking a dynamic, hard-working professional with a solid education and experience along with a desire to work for a fast-paced organization. In addition to exceptional leadership and analytical skills, you must have a “roll-up your sleeves” attitude.
The challenging responsibilities of the position include:
- Develop and improve analytical methods for the analysis of flavor volatiles and non-volatiles in food and beverage products.
- Develop and author laboratory procedures and documents.
- Analysis of raw materials, ingredients and finished products.
- Proactively work with members of the Flavor and Application project teams, Research group and QA function, to recommend project/process improvement including acceleration of project objectives and the avoidance of avoidable delays.
- Develop timelines for all projects and ensure that deadlines and goals are being met.
- Evaluate, validate and recommend selected new technologies, products and/or materials
- Track, monitor and advance several projects simultaneously
- Participate and lead cross-functional and cross-site teams in area of expertise and as part of a broader project group or Community of Practice
- Special Projects and strategic recommendations as assigned by the Technical Director.
- Laboratory equipment troubleshooting and routine maintenance.
- Data/Information organization and shared learnings
The requirements for this position are:
- Minimum BS degree in Chemistry or related discipline required. MS preferred.
- 3-5 years of direct experience in laboratory analysis including experience with method development.
- Experience with LC/GC highly desired; MS expertise a plus.
- Self-starter, independent worker, detail oriented with excellent organizational, analytical and problem solving skills.