Instrumentation Support Technician and Laboratory Coordinator
Job Title: Instrumentation Support Technician and Laboratory Coordinator
Location: Brockport, NY
Field of Specialization and Work Function: Organic, Analytical, and Management-Laboratory
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Description: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. The State University of New York provides an excellent benefit package. For more information on benefits for full-time UUP faculty, visit: http://www.suny.edu/benefits/
Job Description and Summary:
Full-time Instrumentation Support Technician/ Organic Chemistry Laboratory Coordinator for the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at The College at Brockport, State University of New York, a primarily undergraduate institution. The Department graduates about 15 majors annually with a Bachelor's Degree in Chemistry or Biochemistry, and has an ACS-approved program. Student success is our primary goal in educating our students and preparing them for professional careers. Our Department invites applications for a professional staff position whose main responsibilities are providing instrumentation support for the department and coordinating and prepping the organic chemistry laboratories, with additional teaching, administrative, and service responsibilities. The position begins August 2018.
- Maintain, update, and repair (or coordinate repair of) instrumentation and equipment such as Gas Chromatograph, Mass Spectrometer, High Performance Liquid Chromatography, Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectrometer, Infrared Spectrophotometer, Atomic Absorption, Ultraviolet / Visible Spectrophotometer. Provide instructions for the proper use of major instrumentation and equipment, and train and assist students and faculty in their use. (30%)
- Serve as laboratory coordinator for organic chemistry and/or for other courses as needed such as Chemistry for Health Professions. (15%)
- Prepare chemical solutions and supply all materials (special glassware, thermometers, chemicals) for the organic chemistry labs and/or for other courses such as Chemistry for Health Professions. (15%)
- Assume responsibility for purchasing for departmental Supply and Equipment and Lab Fee accounts. (10%)
- Teach at least one laboratory section of organic chemistry or Chemistry for Health Professions each semester. (20%)
- Participate in departmental and campus service such as Instrumentation and Equipment Committee. (10%)
- Master's Degree in chemistry or closely related field from an accredited US Dept of Education or internationally recognized institution
- Demonstrated experience with use and maintenance of a range of instrumentation such as GC, GC-MS, HPLC, NMR, IR, AA, UV/vis, obtained through academic or professional work experience
- Strong interpersonal skills to work with faculty, staff, and students
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and sensitively with people of varying races, genders, disabilities, origins and other cultural differences
- Demonstrated effective oral and written communication skills
- Teaching experience in undergraduate laboratories.
- PhD in chemistry or closely related field from an accredited US Dept of Education or internationally recognized institution or at least 2 years of additional academic or work experience.
Please visit jobs.brockport.edu to complete an application including your CV, cover letter, and contact information of at least three professional references. Applications will be accepted until 2/9/18. Employment at The College at Brockport is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check and final budgetary approval.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
The College at Brockport, State University of New York is an AA/EEO/ADA employer. The College actively seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would enrich the diversity of the College.
To apply, visit http://careers.pageuppeople.com/788/cw/en-us/job/493796/instrumentation-support-technician-and-laboratory-coordinator