Associate Scientist II/Scientist I, Analytical Development
Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products — Imbruvica®, Venclexta™, and Empliciti™ — and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in nearly 200 clinical trials in 19 different types of cancer.
AbbVie is expanding its oncology hub on the West Coast, with three sites in the San Francisco Bay Area (Redwood City, South San Francisco, and Sunnyvale) focused on the discovery and development of novel oncology therapies. More than 1,000 AbbVie scientists, clinicians, and product developers with strong entrepreneurial roots work across these three sites. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. This position will be based at Stemcentrx, AbbVie's South San Francisco, CA location.
We are seeking a highly-motivated individual to join the Analytical Development group in Process Sciences. The successful candidate will work at the nexus of formulation and analytical development while being exposed to all other facets of process development. The employee will contribute to the development of stable formulations and robust analytical methods for characterizing antibodies, small molecule impurities and antibody drug conjugates (ADCs).
The ideal candidate will be familiar with spectroscopy, chromatography and electrophoresis principles and instrumentation. The candidate should have demonstrated the ability to develop new analytical methods or optimize existing methods with minimal supervision. The candidate will be expected to independently design meaningful experiments, execute them systematically and demonstrate good technical judgment when evaluating and interpreting data. Technical writing skills should be developed to the point that the candidate’s documents require few revisions.
This is an opportunity to have a large impact on process development and CMC activities while interacting with a small team of skilled scientists. This role will employ a variety of analytical techniques on a diverse group of analytes. It will use all of the candidate’s existing skills while providing opportunities to learn from a diverse group of technical experts.
Key Responsibilities Include:
* Development and optimization of separation (IEC, SEC, RP, HIC, HILIC, cIEF, CE-SDS, etc) and spectroscopic (UV-Vis absorbance and colorimetric assays) methods for platform and novel proteins, small molecule impurities, protein conjugates and excipients.
* Execution of analytical methods to support all areas of process development (cell culture, purification, conjugation and formulation development).
* Participate in the transfer of robust analytical methods to QC.
* Characterization of antibody and antibody drug conjugates for regulatory filings.
* Write detailed procedures, technical reports and memos.
* BS or MS in Chemistry or related discipline with 3+ years of industry experience in analytical or formulation development roles.
* Strong background in chromatography and electrophoresis and proficient with analytical instrumentation, and data acquisition/analysis software.
* Demonstrated ability to design, execute and interpret experiments independently.
* Mandatory professional skills include organized and disciplined record keeping, excellent communication and technical writing skills, an ability to work effectively with others in a dynamic environment, and the ability to self-motivate, multitask, and meet tight deadlines.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled