Associate Scientist - Solid State NMR
Ames Laboratory, a Department of Energy (DOE) national laboratory operated through contractual agreement with Iowa State University (ISU), is seeking candidates for a Principal Investigator (PI)-track research position, at the level of Associate Scientist. This person will conduct research within the Division of Chemical and Biological Sciences and the Division of Materials Science and Engineering, both of which are funded by DOE Office of Science, Basic Energy Sciences.
The Associate Scientist will conceive, design, and conduct research in the field of solid-state NMR spectroscopy. He/she will work closely and complement the expertise of the current team of PIs working in the areas of nanomaterials, mesoporous materials, interfacial chemistry, organometallic chemistry, catalysis and solid-state NMR. A successful candidate is expected to bring his/her own ideas to strengthen these research programs. In particular, the scientist is expected to develop and apply new solid-state NMR methods, using state-of-the-art technologies, especially high-field dynamic nuclear polarization (DNP) and (ultra)fast magic angle spinning, as well as modern computational tools.
Accordingly, this position will require a strong experimental and theoretical background in solid-state NMR, as well as the ability to quickly develop additional synergistic areas of chemistry and materials science to contribute to the overall effort of Ames Laboratory research programs. The scientist is also expected to work towards the development of an internationally recognized research program, which includes publication and presentations, writing research proposals (as PI or co-PI) and establishing external relationships.
- Master’s degree and 5 years of related experience; OR a Ph.D. or other professional degree and 2 years of related experience.
Supplemental Required Education and Experience:
- Degree must be in chemistry or a closely related field.
- Research experience must in the area of Solid-State NMR.
- Ph.D. in experimental chemistry or a closely related field, such as materials science, physics or chemical engineering.
- Experience in the development of solid-state NMR methods, in particular those involving DNP.
- Demonstrated expertise in the use of modern computations tools associated with modern solid-state NMR spectroscopy.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a collaborative team.
- Demonstrated publication record in the field of solid-state NMR and its applications.
Applications must be submitted online at http://www.iastatejobs.com/postings/31191.
To guarantee consideration, applications must be submitted by March 2nd, 2018.
Ames Laboratory/Iowa State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Ames Laboratory/Iowa State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against. Inquiries can be directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity, 3410 Beardshear Hall, 515 Morrill Road, 515 294-7612, email firstname.lastname@example.org.