Senior Director, Senior Partnerships
Senior Director, Strategic Partnerships
The American Chemical Society has two principal offices located in China and has experienced significant and steady growth in sales, engagement and publishing success over recent years. The Publications Division seeks to further expand its activities in China, and requires a Senior Director to lead this exciting phase for the Society.
The Senior Director, ACS Publications, China, is a senior leadership position responsible for maximizing global and regional influence for the Society and in particular for ACS Publications.
The successful candidate, working closely with ACS colleagues in the US and globally, will identify new strategic opportunities, define implementation plans, and manage the growing team of ACS staff to deliver upon agreed objectives. In conjunction with business units across the ACS, they will help develop a clear, defined business growth strategy for China, based upon a strategic evaluation of relevant markets, customer needs and partnership opportunities.
The Senior Director will represent the organization at a senior level, with a broad knowledge and understanding of divisional and Society strategic objectives.
Responsibilities associated to ACS Publications
The Senior Director, China must be attuned to emerging STM publishing trends and needs, and be able to represent the Division on all publishing issues. In support of the ACS Mission, to ‘advance the chemistry enterprise’, they will:
- Identify and develop partnership opportunities aligned to ACS Publication’s strategic priorities
- define and implement an agreed strategy and structure to increase editorial penetration and editorial support in the region
- lead efforts to maximize engagement and support for ACS Publication products and services within the editor, author, reviewer, and reseach communities
- pursue emerging opportunities in symposia and author services
- work closely with peers within Publications to increase sales penetration
- collaborate with Publications colleagues to develop local (China) editorial support operations
- support the development of a portfolio of successful outreach events and programs to maximize the impact of ACS Publications in greater China
Responsibilities associated with broader Society activities
The Senior Director is also responsible for extending the reach and offerings of other Society activities, including partnerships, programs, education and scientific advancement. This includes working closely with the Beijing-based teams to drive engagement in China through outreach, events, and other marketing efforts. The successful candidate will seek out and develop opportunities to work collaboratively with partner organizations and institutes in China to develop mutually beneficial programs and services for the benefit of chemistry and its practitioners.
In addition, they will collaborate with the General Manager China for Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS), in order to support coordinated regional awareness, engagement and alignment to the Society’s mission and objectives. For clarity, CAS as a Division of the ACS does not fall under the remit of the Senior Director.
Office and Staff Responsibilities
As the senior member of staff for ACS Publications in China, the Senior Director will lead the relevant teams based in Beijing and Shanghai, noting that most staff will receive primary direction from their functional line managers who are typically based in the US. In this context, the Senior Director will:
- Collaborate closely with senior members of ACS Publications and the Membership Divisions to ensure that objectives and goals are met
- Communicate organizational goals and objectives to all staff
- Support and where relevant lead negotiations with partners and agents
- Supervise, motivate and coach China-based staff to help deliver against their objectives
- Develop and implement recruitment strategies and initiatives
- Contribute towards an optimal ACS-wide marketing and outreach strategy and presence
- Develop financial budgets and ensure achievement against regional or local budget
- Manage overall local operations
ACS staff positions based in China may include author outreach managers, managing editors, marketing managers, editorial support managers, and sales colleagues. There is an expectation that China-based staff engaged in editorial support will expand significantly in the near to medium term future.
The Senior Director reports to the Senior Vice President, Journals Publishing Group for the ACS Publications Division. The successful candidate will work closely with senior staff globally to define and implement strategies relating to broader society activities in the region.
The position is based in Beijing, China, and requires frequent travel within the region as well as typically 2-4 trips to US per year. The Senior Director will be an employee of ACS International (ACSI) or other similar ACS subsidiary entities.
- 10+ years of relevant experience, ideally in a multinational society and/or publishing environment
- Demonstrable ability to define strategic opportunities and successfully articulate and operationalize execution plans.
- Strong written, oral and electronic media communication skills required, with a customer-focused, leadership “presence”.
- Demonstrable team building and performance management skills.
- An undergraduate or advanced degree in chemistry or related field (desired, not essential)
- Fluency in Mandarin and English language essential.