Managing Editor, (ACCOUNTS OF CHEMICAL RESEARCH, CHEMICAL REVIEWS and JACS)
The American Chemical Society is looking to fill a Managing Editor to join their Editorial Development group within ACS Publications.
Division and Unit Overview
The American Chemical Society is the world’s largest scientific membership association and one of the top ten science publishers in the world. The Publications Division of the American Chemical Society provides to its members and the worldwide scientific community a comprehensive collection of high quality information products and services for the practice and advancement of the chemical sciences. The Division publishes a weekly magazine, and over 50 high-quality scholarly journals focused on chemistry and chemistry-related topics.
The Editorial Development team, within the Global Journals Development department, is focused on maintaining and improving the editorial performance of existing titles and the development of new products. The unit is responsible for reporting to staff, external editors, and governance committees on performance of the journals; collaborating with external editors to ensure they have the appropriate resources to help their journals perform ably; collaborating with staff and editors to create and implement strategic plans for journals; and for a number of titles, working directly with editors on the day-to-day management of peer-review, author/reviewer outreach, and journal issue management.
The Managing Editor is responsible for the day-to-day management of our flagship primary research and reviews journals ACCOUNTS OF CHEMICAL RESEARCH, CHEMICAL REVIEWS, and the JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. S/he will work with Editors and ACS staff to develop and implement publishing strategies and editorial initiatives to sustain and enhance the journals’ standing within the global chemistry community to ensure their continued growth and success. The Managing Editor will collaborate with the Editors in planning, recruiting, and editing commissioned content, and monitor progress of the journals against competitors. S/he works with ACS staff from Global Production Operations; Editorial Services; Digital Strategy and Publishing Platforms; and Marketing, Sales and New Product Innovation to implement strategic initiatives for the journal, ensuring the publications are produced on time, on budget, and with appropriate levels of quality. The Managing Editor will represent the journals within the scientific community through laboratory visits and conferences, both domestic and international. The incumbent reports to the Senior Managing Editor, Editorial Development, and will have management responsibilities overseeing the Development Editor for Journal of the American Chemical Society.
- Define and drive strategic growth of Accounts of Chemical Research, Chemical Reviews, and the Journal of the American Chemical Society through development and management of editorial initiatives; monitoring competitor journals and reporting on issues/trends to Editors and ACS staff at regular intervals, including during annual Editors’ and Editorial Advisory Board Meetings; developing and implementing near and long-term strategic plans and priorities; assisting in drafting monitoring reports on journal performance.
- Identify, implement, and promote strategies for the multidisciplinary portfolio to diversify and grow authorship, personalize outreach to key communities, further delineate the role and legacy of each journal, and monitor emerging trends to identify new opportunities for collaboration among Accounts of Chemical Research, Chemical Reviews, and the Journal of the American Chemical Society
- Identify, build relationships with, and recruit new authors and research communities for Accounts of Chemical Research, Chemical Reviews, and the Journal of the American Chemical Society in order to commission high quality content. Collaborate with Editors-in-Chief and other stakeholders to consistently deliver content for publication.
- Collaborate with the Editors-in-Chief to identify and recruit new Associate/Senior Editors for the journals.
- Develop and implement new features, services, and products for the publications portfolio.
- Represent the journals at site visits, strategic scientific conferences, and exhibits to acquire and maintain a deep understanding of the needs and trends within the communities served by the journals and publications portfolio. Maintain contact with authors, reviewers, and outside experts including those in the publishing industry. Develop beneficial relationships with ACS Technical Divisions to promote journal lectureships.
- Coordinate with other departments (Global Production Operations; Editorial Services; Web Innovation; Digital Strategy and Publishing Platforms; Marketing, Sales and New Product Innovation; and others) to ensure efficiency, timeliness, and overall high quality of the published product and to move forward strategic initiatives.
Required experience and skills
Advanced degree (Ph.D.) in chemistry or a related science strongly preferred; Bachelor’s Degree and combined 7+ years of relevant training and experience in an academic or industrial chemistry setting required; STEM publishing and management experience required. Excellent written and verbal communication with both technical and nontechnical audiences, ability to make well-reasoned decisions and lead cross-functional teams, multitasking, organizational, analytical, and problem solving skills required. Demonstrated proficiency with basic word processing, spreadsheet, Web-based and social media tools required. This position is based in the Washington, DC offices of the American Chemical Society. Some travel required.