JBEI Postdoctoral Appointee - Mass Spectrometry/Synthetic Biology
Synthetic biology has the potential to revolutionize the production of biofuels, chemicals, materials, etc. High throughput, specificity, and sensitivity analytical approaches are needed to complement synthetic biology approaches to enable rapid read-out of microbial and enzyme activities. We are seeing highly motivated individuals to work as part of a cross-disciplinary team to develop microfluidics and high throughput mass spectrometry approaches to develop new to the world technologies for discovering enzymes and metabolic pathways and optimizing performance.
The individual will work at the Joint BioEnergy Institute (www.jbei.org) to:
- Develop and apply micro and nanofabrication approaches for construction of surface-based mass spectrometry technologies;
- Deploy novel microfluidic and mass spectrometry approaches to support synthetic biology and enzyme discover efforts;
- Analyze and integrate results as part of a cross-disciplinary team;
- Publish scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals and present findings at seminars and conferences.
- PhD in Material Science, Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical Biology, or related field;
- Mass spectrometry experience, ideally using surface based mass spectrometry techniques;
- A strong record of high technical achievement as evidenced by publication in high-impact scientific journals and the demonstrated ability to conduct creative, independent research within a team environment.
- Python programing experience;
- Clean room experience, ideally including microfluidics.
Biotechnology and Bioengineering Department, located in Livermore, California and Emeryville, CA, performs biological and bioengineering research with applications in national security, healthcare and alternative energy. We are a diverse research group with a focus on both basic and applied biological research. We seek to address problems with strong ties to national security, such as biodefense and health security, through new research approaches and advanced technology development including microfluidics and nanofluidics. We also seek to develop the science base required by industry to produce clean, efficient, and cost-effective biofuels and other bioproducts on a commercial scale. This work is carried out in partnership with the Department of Energy's Joint BioEnergy Institute (JBEI). Our department is highly multidisciplinary, comprised of researchers with expertise in many disciplines of biology (molecular biology, microbiology, virology, immunology and biochemistry), chemistry (analytical, organic and physical) and engineering (chemical, mechanical and biomedical).
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record checks, and employment and education verifications. Further, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to the work site. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance, and one subsequently becomes required or you bid on positions that require a DOE-granted security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for DOE-granted security clearances must be U.S. citizens and be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate DOE security clearance as required for the position.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT