Core Technology X-ray Scattering Scientist
Gore is a technology-driven global company built on entrepreneurial innovation, integrity, and teamwork. Our diverse portfolio includes everything from high-performance fabrics and implantable medical devices to industrial manufacturing components and aerospace electronics. Through our product leadership, we've been changing lives and changing industries for more than 50 years. What can you change by joining Gore? Visit gore.com/change-life to find out.
Our Core Technology organization works with all our divisions to conceptualize, develop and produce fluoropolymer intermediates and composites for incorporation into Gore Products. We are looking for a dynamic X-ray Scattering Scientist to join our Analytical Team in Core Technology.
If you are searching for a company where you can make a difference, we're looking for you. In this role, you will have the opportunity to increase our expertise in this area and to build new capabilities for x-ray techniques in order to support the development of new materials and products.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be hands-on, passionate, proactive, and highly self-motivated
- Enjoy working as part of a diverse analytical team and with interdisciplinary scientists providing material characterization, problem-solving and failure analyses for the enterprise
- Be energized by working with Associates from a variety of businesses in new product development, R&D, support of troubleshooting, and process optimization
- Characterizing a wide variety of polymeric materials
- Familiarity with test method development and sample preparation
- Defining and maintaining an appropriate suite of instrumentation in support of business needs
- Operating x-ray instruments and the associated software, including data acquisition and interpretation
- Training others on the proper use of x-ray diffraction equipment, proper data collection and analysis methods
- Monitoring external advances and proactively seeking to implement where appropriate
- Establishing relationships with universities and external contract laboratories, facilitating the use of these laboratories as appropriate
- Performing both routine and non-routine analyses in addition to project based investigations
- Managing and prioritizing multiple projects and service requests from a variety of sources simultaneously
- Documenting work via reports, technology notebooks, and the core technology quality system
In certain cases, candidates requiring a work visa may be considered.
Required Job Qualifications:
- PhD in Physics, Material Science, Polymer Science, or related field with minimum 2 years of relevant work experience OR a Masters' degree with 10+ years of relevant work experience
- Proven expertise in using x-ray scattering techniques such as WAXD and SAXS to characterize polymers and to be able to draw connections between structure, properties, and process conditions
- Extensive experience and expertise in operating a rotating anode x-ray diffractometer and associated data analysis for polymers
- Proven expertise in identifying appropriate x-ray methods to provide product and material understanding
- Proven written and oral communication skills, including presenting results that are tailored to a variety of technical abilities
- Ability to:
- Work effectively in team situations while simultaneously prioritizing and scheduling independent work load
- Network and interface effectively with a broad range of associates spanning varied disciplines and responsibilities
- Willingness to travel up to ten percent of working time
Desired Job Qualifications:
- Experiences at synchrotron sources
- With a broad array of analytical techniques such as XRF, DSC, DMA, NMR, Raman, etc to give a more complete picture of polymer crystal structure
- With fluoromaterials and semi-crystalline polymers
- In an analytical or technical service role
- In using x-ray scattering techniques to support patent claims
- Familiarity with molecular dynamics modelling
- Previous experience working in a regulated environment (Federal Drug Administration, International Organization for Standards, automotive, semiconductor, etc.)
- Familiarity with statistics and designed experiments
- Demonstrated ability to lead complex projects
Gore is committed to a drug-free workplace. All employment is contingent upon successful completion of drug and background screening.
Gore requires all applicants to be eligible to work within the US. Gore generally will not sponsor visas unless otherwise noted on the position description.
Gore is a M/F, Disabled and Vet EEO/AA Employer. (Applies to all positions in the U.S.)
Keywords: Gore, job, Baltimore, Elkton, Philadelphia, Wilmington, Maryland, MD, Pennsylvania, PA, Delaware, DE, x-ray, technician, certification, manufacturing, improvement, radiology, inspection, safety, operator, inspecting, inspection, technical, equipment, machine, machinery, processes, processing, systems, troubleshooting, improvements, procedures, SOPs, safety, records, data, entry, software, database, records
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: