Head and Professor
Head and Professor
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The College of Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign seeks a highly accomplished scholar and strategic leader as Head of the Department of Materials Science and Engineering (MatSE). The department is at an exciting time of research and innovation, and offers degrees at the bachelors, masters, and doctoral levels. MatSE at Illinois is one of the largest in the nation with approximately 28 tenure system and specialized faculty members, 340 undergraduate students, and 180 graduate and professional students. For more information on this dynamic department, please visit our website at matse.illinois.edu where you can find more information on our academic and research programs.
MatSE has a broadly-based research portfolio and is organized into four focus areas: Materials for Energy and the Environment, Materials for Medicine, Mechanical Properties and Materials for Extreme Conditions, and Nanoscale Science and Technology. Faculty and students make significant discoveries that will change the world, including self-healing materials and epidermal electronics with various medical applications. The interdisciplinary nature of such research is evident in well-established collaborations with academic units on campus and with world-renowned research facilities such as the Frederick Seitz Materials Research Laboratory, Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology, National Center for Supercomputing Applications, Coordinated Science Laboratory, and the Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory. Emerging opportunities include the Carle-Illinois College of Medicine, which is the first medical school to be founded at the intersection of engineering and medicine.
The Department Head is a tenured full Professor in Materials Science and Engineering and reports to the Dean of the College of Engineering. Applicants must have an earned Ph.D., a scholarly record commensurate with the level of a full professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and a renowned reputation in research. The position has responsibilities for leading the faculty in the development of research, teaching, and public service, as well as engaging with industry, private foundations and alumni to advance the success and excellence of the department. The position also has primary oversight for all administrative, budgetary and promotion decisions for the department. The successful candidate will:
- lead the Department by presenting a compelling vision for materials science and engineering at Illinois;
- sustain and expand the scholarly excellence of the Department and endeavor to become the leading MatSE program in the country;
- foster, advocate, and promote cutting-edge, innovative undergraduate and graduate curricula as well as multidisciplinary research collaborations through effective leadership and management;
- promote an engaging environment for Assistant and Associate faculty members, grounded on effective mentoring and academic and professional development;
- foster both existing and new long-term connections with industry to better position MatSE as a leader for cutting-edge research and industry partnerships;
- foster a culture of active alumni engagement with the Department that celebrates its graduates as agents of its impact to the world and as the stewards of its long-term excellence;
- lead the Department's advancement campaign and establish strategic engagement and partnerships with foundations and private institutions that share the department's passion and vision for overall excellence.
The Head position is an administrative appointment accompanied by a 100% tenured faculty appointment with full University benefits.
To apply for this position, candidates should create a profile at jobs.illinois.edu and submit a cover letter articulating their vision for this position, together with a curriculum vitae, and names and contact information for three references, all as a single PDF file. Complete applications should be received by July 2, 2018, for full consideration, but applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The start date is as soon as possible and salary is commensurate with skills and experience. Please direct questions pertaining to the search or application procedures to Lori Willoughby at email@example.com or 217-333-3837.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
We have an active and successful dual-career partner placement program and a strong commitment to work- life balance and family-friendly programs for faculty and staff (provost.illinois.edu/faculty- affairs/work-life-balance).
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu