Director of the Chemical and Biological Sciences Division (CBSD)
The Director of the Chemical and Biological Sciences Division (CBSD) is responsible for managing, developing, guiding, and advancing the Division’s mission as well as the overall mission of Ames Laboratory. Ames Laboratory is a government-owned, contractor-operated research facility of the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), operated by and situated on the campus of Iowa State University (ISU) in Ames, Iowa. The CBS Division spans experimental and theoretical chemical and biological sciences and possesses state of the art experimental capabilities such as a leading Dynamic Nuclear Polarization solid state NMR and other cutting edge spectroscopic facilities. The Director will manage a research team of about 100 faculty, staff, students, and associates. Depending on the qualifications of the finalist, this position may be hired as a Director III Professional and Scientific staff position or as an Associate or Full Professor faculty position.
The successful candidate will be an established or emergent leader in the fields of chemical and/or biological sciences and preferably, but not necessarily, aligned with the current strengths of the Division which include catalysis, chemical separations, interfacial chemistry, fundamental interactions, chemical transformations, photochemistry, theoretical chemistry, and biosciences.
If hired as a Director III, in addition to fulfilling the role of Division Director outlined below, the successful candidate will be expected to lead research relevant to the Division’s mission. If hired as an Associate or Full Professor, the faculty member will be expected to teach chemistry or chemical engineering courses at both the undergraduate and graduate levels; advise graduate and undergraduate students; generate a scholarly publication record; participate in technical committees and outreach activities; engage in interdisciplinary research and collaborations funded from a variety of external sources, including sponsored funding administered through Iowa State University.
The Director is in charge of developing and communicating the shared vision for the scientific growth of CBSD and advancing the Division’s ability to fulfill Ames Laboratory and DOE missions. This leadership responsibilities include building a strategic plan with Division Principal Investigators based on current strengths and a vision of future expertise, and leading the effective and optimal execution of that plan through new scientific initiatives. The successful candidate must also effectively communicate the CBSD vision, strategy, and execution plans with the DOE and other stakeholders. The Director reports to the Chief Research Officer (CRO) and works with CRO on the implementation and incorporation of CBSD vision and strategy into Laboratory-wide plans.
The Director is responsible for the safety and security of the CBSD employees and assets, and is the champion for Integrated Safety Management (ISM). This includes being the leader in developing and maintaining a system of cyber security that protects the CBSD, Ames Laboratory, and the DOE national laboratory system.
The Director is responsible for the financial stability and sustainability of the Division and provides leadership for the development, prioritization, and approval of Divisional budgets.
- Director III (Professional and Scientific):
- Bachelor’s degree and 10 years of related experience; OR a Master’s degree and 8 years of related experience; OR a Ph.D. or other professional degree and 5 years of related experience.
- Degree must be in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or related field.
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or related discipline.
- Demonstrated record of teaching and research accomplishment commensurate with the rank of Associate Professor or Professor at Iowa State University.
- Demonstrated outstanding scientific credentials with an international stature and a reputation for having made groundbreaking contributions to her/his field.
- Experience with visionary leadership and effective line management of research teams.
- Demonstrated understanding of federal funding agencies and preferably prior experience with the DOE and other government agencies.
- Experience in developing programs with offices of the DOE and/or with other public and/or private agencies.
- Demonstrated knowledge of working with industry and developing sponsored funding.
- Experience with strategic planning initiatives.
Applications must be submitted online at http://www.iastatejobs.com/postings/31792.
To guarantee consideration, applications must be submitted by June 17, 2018.
Ames Laboratory/Iowa State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Ames Laboratory/Iowa State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against. Inquiries can be directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity, 3410 Beardshear Hall, 515 Morrill Road, 515 294-7612, email firstname.lastname@example.org.