LC Product Development Scientist III
Restek, a leading chromatography company, has TWO immediate openings for experienced Product Development Scientists for our LC Solutions group. We are looking for one scientist who specializes in silane chemistry/silica surface bonding, and the other scientist with strong skills in organic chemistry/polymer chemistry. Both scientists will join the LC R&D group and be responsible for silica surface bonding, and the design and synthesis of new molecules and materials, and working with other scientists to develop innovative LC phase chemistries and products.
Job Summary: The Scientist III leads and performs analysis, research, development, testing, documentation, and introduction of new products and/or materials in support of Restek's growth goals and strategic plan.
- Generate new ideas of LC phase chemistries.
- Design and synthesize LC ligands and separation media materials.
- Conduct surface bonding of silica or surface modification of polymer sorbents.
- Purify and test commercial raw reagents that are involved in the phase synthes
- Perform the testing of HPLC columns and related products.
- Work with other chemists in the group to develop and introduce new products in support of Restek’s growth goals and strategic plan.
- Train other chemists in the group as needed.
- Document all experiments and/or procedures and review documentation for accuracy and completeness. Write experience reports detailing experimental design, results and conclusions, and circulate with the appropriate departments. Communicate progress on projects through monthly reports and at staff meetings.
- Write articles and other technical marketing material aligned with planned campaigns.
- Present at external technical meetings and trade shows as assigned.
- Keep current with the LC phase chemistries and organic chemistry applicable to the field through literature review, seminars, workshops, and continuing education.
- Practice safe working procedures and follow guidelines specified by the Environmental Health and Safety Department, especially when working in the production and laboratory areas.
- Candidates must have demonstrated hands-on experience on organic synthesis and/or polymer chemistry in a lab setting. PhD is preferred, or candidates must have comparable education plus experience.
- Previous experience with silane chemistry, surface bonding of silica, and/or polymer chemistry is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Deep knowledge and strong skills in organic synthesis, especially silane chemistry, surface bonding and/or polymer chemistry.
- Understanding and application of chromatography theory/principles.
- Competent understanding of basic processes and core responsibilities with ability to select work. Cross knowledge in at least one area outside of assigned area.
- Good troubleshooting skills with ability to assist in complex problem solving.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Ability to organize, prepare and present oral and written communications with supervisory oversight. Ability to present departmental metrics as well as any corrective actions.
- Knowledge of chemical safety, composition, structure, & properties, including uses of chemicals.
- Travel of up to 10% time is required.
- Team player.
Restek is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.