Postdoctoral Research Associate – Materials Synthesis for Energy Storage
Purpose: Under general supervision, the incumbent will focus on synthesis and characterization of electrochemical storage materials targeted for lithium and alternative redox chemistries. This position resides in the Physical Chemistry of Materials Group in the Materials Science
and Technology Division (MSTD), Physical Sciences Directorate (PSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). Work will be performed in MSTD’s state-of-the-art laboratories that are equipped with materials synthesis capability including, solid state and wet chemistry, physical vapor deposition, electrochemical test modules, X-ray, Micro-Raman, AFM, and microscopy. There will also be ample opportunity to access the world-class facilities and collaborate with the staff scientists at the Center for Nanoscale Materials (CNMS), the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), and Battery Manufacturing Facility (BMF).
- Focus on synthesis, characterization, and electrochemical performance evaluation of high capacity battery materials
- Optimize structure and interfacial properties, such as electronic conductivity, ion diffusion and surface modification.
- Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health and quality program requirements
- Maintain strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics
- A PhD in solid state chemistry, materials science/physical chemistry or a closely related science discipline. Candidates must have completed all degree requirements before starting their appointment and be within five years of receiving their Doctorate.
- Candidates should have excellent record of productive and creative research demonstrated by publications in peer-reviewed journals in the above areas.
- A strong background in applying various synthesis and surface modification methods to stabilize high capacity battery chemistries.
- Experience in synthesis and design of high voltage cathodes materials and develop approaches to stabilize reversible oxygen (anion redox) redox.
- Ability to perform experiments on full cells and provide a mechanistic understanding of capacity degradation, side reaction etc.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with an ability to work in a collaborative environment
Other Information: The appointment length will be up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and availability of funding. Please provide a list of publications when applying for this position. Three letters of reference are required and can be uploaded to your profile or emailed directly to PSDrecruit@ornl.gov. Please include the title of the position in the subject line.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply.
Apply Here: bit.ly/MtlsSyn