Product Safety Advisor
NOVA Chemicals’ strategic priorities include growing significantly. Our strategy leverages our ability to deliver game changing technology and create an exceptional customer experience to help meet the growing consumer demand for polyethylene in the Americas. We are looking for innovative, passionate people who are focused on success. If you are interested in being challenged, inspired and supported by a team to deliver your best work while making everyday life healthier, easier and safer, come join us on this exciting journey.
As part of the NOVA Chemicals’ Product Safety team you will be responsible for the maintenance and improvement of various product safety and stewardship programs.
It is envisaged that this position will be located at our U.S Corporate Center in Pittsburgh, PA, but consideration will be given to other NOVA Chemicals sites.
Working in a team environment responsibilities will include:
- Participating/contributing to NOVA Chemicals’ product hazard communication program. This includes chemical and polymer classifications and authoring of Safety Data Sheets (SDSs)/labels for NOVA Chemicals commercial (sold globally) and non-commercial products according to the Globally Harmonized System for the Classification and Labeling of Hazardous Chemicals (GHS) and Responsible Care® initiatives;
- Ensuring compliance with international, federal and state/provincial hazard communication legislation and initiatives (e.g. US, Canada, European Union, Asia-Pacific and other countries where NOVA Chemicals’ products are sold);
- Developing, maintaining and improving various Product Stewardship programs (training, risk reviews, stakeholder inquiries/surveys);
- Consulting with company and industry experts on product information;
- Posting and securing documents on external and internal websites;
- Supporting the communication and distribution of SDSs, Responsible Care® and technical documentation to customers/distributors, Emergency Response providers and other stakeholders;
- Maintaining SAP, data systems and files used for communication and distribution of product SDSs and other information;
- Assuring the Product Stewardship systems within NOVA Chemicals are effective, and managed for continuous improvement, as assessed by external (e.g. CIAC, ACC) and internal parties (NOVA Chemicals’ Auditing Program).
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, engineering (chemical is preferred), toxicology, industrial hygiene or related science is required;
- Minimum 8+ years relevant experience in the chemical, plastic or related industries is required;
- Experience authoring (Material) Safety Data Sheets using SAP;
- Working knowledge of SAP, web (html), Microsoft Office applications (WORD, EXCEL, POWERPOINT, Outlook and SharePoint);
- Demonstrated general knowledge or ability to learn product regulations and regulatory compliance practices;
- Ability to influence and work well across diverse functional areas, in working groups, with external industrial associations, governments, and other internal and external stakeholders;
- Strong ability to handle multiple tasks in very fast paced environment;
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills and a proven self-starter;
- Adaptable, creative, innovative, results-oriented.
- Demonstrated commitment to Responsible Care®.
NOVA Chemicals develops and manufactures chemicals and plastic resins that make everyday life safer, healthier and easier. Our employees work to ensure health, safety, security and environmental stewardship through our commitment to sustainability and Responsible Care®. NOVA Chemicals, headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, is wholly-owned ultimately by Mubadala Investment Company of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
The NOVA Chemicals U.S. Commercial Center (USCC) is located in Moon Township, Pennsylvania, minutes from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. USCC’s primary focus is on executive leadership, corporate and support functions.
Pittsburgh is the second largest city in Pennsylvania.
NOVA Chemicals’ flexible benefit programs are designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees, because when it comes to benefits, everyone has different priorities. Our benefits offerings will vary based on your work location, and are an element of the “Total Rewards” package used to reward employees.