Chemical Sciences Division Director
Chemical Sciences Division Director - 85196
Organization: AE-Energy Sciences
Berkeley Lab is seeking a dynamic scientific leader with a national and international reputation and record of accomplishment to serve as the Division Director of the Chemical Sciences Division. The Director is responsible for the research and operations activities of the Division, overseeing a budget of over $26 million and a population of over 326 employees and affiliates, including scientists, postdoctoral fellows, administrative and environment/health/safety (EHS) staff, and students. The Chemical Sciences Division (CSD) conducts fundamental chemical sciences research. The division is organized into five core programs: Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Sciences; Catalysis and Chemical Transformations; Condensed Phase and Interfacial Molecular Science (CPIMS); Gas Phase Chemical Physics; and Heavy Element Chemistry. In addition, the Division’s centers and facilities provide unique capabilities to carry out cutting-edge research and include: the Joint Center for Artificial Photosynthesis (JCAP), a DOE Energy Innovation Hub; the Heavy Element Research Laboratory (HERL); and the Ultrafast X-ray Science Laboratory (UXSL).
Reporting to the Associate Laboratory Director for Energy Sciences, the Chemical Sciences Division Director is responsible for providing vision and leadership for the Chemical Sciences Division (CSD) at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab). The Director has full responsibility for all areas of management within the division, including scientific research, operations, finance, human resources, and environmental health and safety. The Director establishes a culture of excellence and inclusion by recruiting a diverse population of outstanding scientists and support staff, enthusiastically supporting and promoting their career development.
The Director will serve as a member of the executive team of the Energy Sciences Area, which is primarily funded by the Basic Energy Sciences (BES) program of the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science. As a member of Berkeley Lab's management, the Director is expected to build collaborative partnerships and programs within the Energy Sciences Area, with other Divisions at Berkeley Lab, and with external research institutions. The Director will serve as a spokesperson for the entire Chemical Sciences, Geosciences, and Biosciences (CSGB) program of BES at Berkeley Lab in interactions with the DOE, and will partner closely with scientists from other Divisions at Berkeley Lab that host CSGB-sponsored programs. The Division Director will contribute to the leadership of large-scale Laboratory initiatives, including the development of multidisciplinary activities around themes such as: solar energy conversion, biogenic chemicals and materials, and scientific opportunities that will be made possible by the Advanced Light Source Upgrade (ALS-U).
About Berkeley Lab:
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science.
The Chemical Sciences Division Director:
• Provides scientific leadership for the Division's research programs by effectively managing existing programs and guiding the development of new initiatives and programs
• Is responsible for all areas of management within the division, including operation, environment/health/safety, administration, budget, and human resources
• Works collaboratively with the Associate Laboratory Director for Energy Sciences and the other Division Directors within the Area to develop research initiatives, programs, and other activities to advance the mission of the Energy Sciences Area.
• Collaborates with colleagues at UC Berkeley and other research institutions to develop cooperative programs to the mutual benefit of Berkeley Lab and its partners
• Establishes and communicates CSD’s mission, goals, and accomplishments to division staff and funding sponsors, Berkeley Lab staff and leadership, and to the broader research community.
• Makes substantial contributions to the formulation and direction of Laboratory programs that enhance Berkeley Lab’s preeminence as a National Laboratory.
• Serves as a point of contact to DOE officials for chemical sciences-related research, and implements DOE policies as they impact CSD.
• Addresses management and resource challenges of a growing organization; guide strategies for hiring, retaining, and developing a diverse staff
• Participates in formulating the research policy and long-term direction of the Laboratory as a whole, and provide consultation to the Laboratory Director, Deputy Director, and Associate Laboratory Director regarding new initiatives for the strategic direction of CSD
• Works as a team member with other scientific and operational Division Directors, the Associate Laboratory Directors, and the Laboratory Directorate to advance the interests of LBNL and assure efficient, effective, and safe operation of the Laboratory
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://126.96.36.199/counter.php?id=135842 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/PayTransparencyNondiscrimination.html) under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click here to view the poster and supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law."