Postdoctoral Appointee - Semiconductor Surface Chemistries
Postdoctoral Appointee - Semiconductor Surface Chemistries in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Appointee to conduct high-impact research as part of a diverse team that makes electronic devices using atomic precision advanced manufacturing. Are you passionate about conducting cutting-edge research to extend these capabilities? If so, you will want to consider applying for this exceptional opportunity.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Extend the capabilities of atomic precision advanced manufacturing by discovering new compatible and enabling semiconductor surface chemistries
- Collaborate with a team seeking the theoretical and experimental understanding of novel surface chemistries, materials stacks, and device physics
- Report discoveries to the broader community through writing papers for submission to peer-reviewed journals and making presentations at conferences
The Advanced Materials Sciences Department (1876) is responsible for the research, development, and application of chemical science to materials technologies critical to Sandia's missions. Our work currently emphasizes the science and engineering of Metal Organic Chemical Vapor Deposition (MOCVD), and nanostructure synthesis and characterization. We support a large variety of compound semiconductor materials science and device development projects. We are also involved in the synthesis and characterization of other novel materials such as semiconductor quantum dots and quantum wires and 3D nanostructures including photonic lattices. We advance the state-of-the-art in MOCVD and related technologies through an interdisciplinary approach which includes a wide range of experimental and theoretical techniques and an extensive network of partners inside and outside of Sandia.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This postdoctoral position is a temporary position for up to one year, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to five additional years. The PhD must have been conferred within five years prior to employment.
Individuals in postdoctoral positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
- PhD, conferred within 5 years prior to employment, in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Physics, or related discipline
- Experience performing original research, as demonstrated by a record of first-author publications in peer-reviewed journals, conference papers, and presentations
- Experience performing experiments involving the chemistry, physics, or engineering of surfaces, thin films, materials, or devices
- Experience with wet-chemical and/or gas-phase surface chemistries
- Experience working with, modifying, and building ultra-high vacuum systems
- Experience with surface science characterization techniques, such as FTIR, Raman, Auger, XPS, STM, etc.
- Experience working within a larger multidisciplinary team
- Ability to effectively communicate across disciplines, and levels of expertise
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record checks, and employment and education verifications. Further, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to the work site. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance, and one subsequently becomes required or you bid on positions that require a DOE-granted security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for DOE-granted security clearances must be U.S. citizens and be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate DOE security clearance as required for the position.