Group Leader I/II, Medicinal Chemistry
Group Leader, Medicinal Chemistry
Omeros is seeking a Group Leader, Medicinal Chemistry to join our Medicinal Chemistry team. In this role, you’ll be overseeing and directing the activities of a scientific group in the research and development of our products, projects and programs.
Good things are happening at Omeros!
Come join our Medicinal Chemistry Team!
Who is Omeros?
Omeros is a commercial-stage biopharmaceutical company committed to discovering, developing and commercializing small-molecule and protein therapeutics for large-market as well as orphan indications targeting inflammation, complement-mediated diseases and disorders of the central nervous system.
The company’s drug product OMIDRIA® (phenylephrine and ketorolac injection) 1% / 0.3% is marketed in the U.S. for use during cataract surgery or intraocular lens (IOL) replacement to maintain pupil size by preventing intraoperative miosis (pupil constriction) and to reduce postoperative ocular pain. In the European Union, the European Commission has approved OMIDRIA for use in cataract surgery and other IOL replacement procedures to maintain mydriasis (pupil dilation), prevent miosis (pupil constriction), and to reduce postoperative eye pain.
Omeros has multiple Phase 3 and Phase 2 clinical-stage development programs focused on: complement-associated thrombotic microangiopathies; complement-mediated glomerulonephropathies; Huntington’s disease and cognitive impairment; and addictive and compulsive disorders. In addition, Omeros has a diverse group of preclinical programs and a proprietary G protein-coupled receptor (GPCR) platform through which it controls 54 new GPCR drug targets and corresponding compounds, a number of which are in preclinical development. The company also exclusively possesses a novel antibody-generating platform.
What are your job responsibilities?
- Designing complex organic molecules for yourself and others
- Synthesizing potential drug candidate molecules
- Using computational methods aid in compound design process
- Conducting complex air- and moisture-sensitive organic reactions
- Analytically characterizing organic compounds using routine methods (NMR, HPLC/MS, etc.)
- Analytically characterizing organic compounds using nonroutine methods (multi-dimensional NMR, etc.)
- Understanding and applying DMPK and biological principals toward the design of small molecules; discusses and maintains structure activity relationships of compounds
- Using innovative methods to analyze data
- Presenting data to group and project meetings in both a technical and informational fashion
- Effectively using the chemical literature
- Using chemistry related software
- Managing and archiving data
- Maintaining an orderly and safe work environment
- Attending project meetings
- Managing and leading subordinates; selecting, developing and evaluating personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the function
- Conducting and collaborating with others on basic research and development relevant to long-term objectives and concerns
- Developing strategies to ensure effective achievement of scientific objectives
- Monitoring and evaluating completion of tasks and projects
- Collaborating with other top managers to establish company policies
- Ensuring budgets, schedules and performance requirements are met
- Overseeing and directly contributing to patents
What experience and education do you need?
You’ll need to have a Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry with 15+ years of industry experience and 3+ years of supervisory experience.
What skills and knowledge does our ideal candidate have?
As our ideal candidate, you’ll need the following skills and knowledge:
- Expert knowledge of scientific principles and concepts
- Demonstrated success in technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaboration with others, and independent thought
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of basic computer applications used in general office settings including word processing, spreadsheet, database management, and presentation software and Internet search engines
- Basic math and standard English grammar and usage skills; excellent written and verbal communication skills are required
- Leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain positive relationships with management, peers, and subordinates
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail
- The ability to effectively multi-task both in and out of the lab
If you have the skills, knowledge and experience we are looking for, we’d love to hear from you!
Omeros is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, or any other factor determined to be unlawful by federal, state, or local statutes.
It is our policy to provide reasonable accommodation to anyone with a disability who needs assistance completing the job application process. If you need assistance, you can either send an e-mail to email@example.com or contact Omeros, asking for Human Resources, at (206) 676-5000.