Director -Integrated Molecular Structure Education and Research Center (IMSERC)
The Department of Chemistry at Northwestern University has an opening for the Director of the Integrated Molecular Structure Education and Research Center (IMSERC) which maintains mass spectrometers, NMR spectrometers and X-Ray diffractomers needed to support research within the Department of Chemistry and NU. In addition, IMSERC supports undergraduate education through management of small equipment that is needed as part of the undergraduate curriculum (optical spectroscopy, ICP OES, HPLC, etc.). For a complete list of equipment, visit: http://imserc.northwestern.edu/ .
The Director is responsible for day to day management of the lab, collaborating with faculty with analytical needs and works with the IMSERC oversight committee to develop long term equipment roadmaps and business plans. The IMSERC Director:
- Defines staffing model, pricing structure and policies governing safely and effectively conducting research within IMSERC.
- Proposes operational budget for that is compliant with federal cost accounting standards.
- Manages technique experts on a day to day basis to ensure user/student needs are met and that lab operates in a professional manner.
- Prioritizes equipment acquisition through targeted purchases and grants.
- Provides escalation path when samples cannot be analyzed in a reasonable time or instrumentation will be down for extensive periods of time.
- Prepares reports needed by faculty, and OR needed to ensure future grant eligibility and demonstrate compliance for users performing analyses in IMSERC.
- Ensures IMSERC services are marketed to target audiences inside and outside IMSERC.
- Assists with graduate and undergraduate classes as requested by NU faculty.
- Actively seeks funding for new projects and equipment to both further science at NU and develop new (or maintain existing), sustainable revenue streams.
- Represents IMSERC, the Department of Chemistry and NU in a professional and positive manner.
Applicants should have completed a PhD in Chemistry, Chemical Education, or a related field. Past lab management experience, demonstrated expertise with MS, NMR or X-Ray instrument maintenance/training and history of successful grant preparation strongly preferred. This position is a continuing faculty position with an initial appointment of two years. It is full time and benefits eligible.
Interested candidates should submit CV and contact information for 3 references by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
AA/EOE. Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
More searches like this
- Analytical Management-Laboratory Full time jobs in Evanston
- Inorganic Management-Laboratory Full time jobs in Evanston
- Nanotechnology Management-Laboratory Full time jobs in Evanston
- Organic Management-Laboratory Full time jobs in Evanston
- Organometallic Management-Laboratory Full time jobs in Evanston