Mass Spectrometrist-Integrated Molecular Structure Education and Research Center (IMSERC)
The Department of Chemistry at Northwestern University has an opening for the Director of the Integrated Molecular Structure Education and Research Center (IMSERC) which maintains mass spectrometers, NMR spectrometers and X-Ray diffractomers needed to support research within the Department of Chemistry and NU. In addition, IMSERC supports undergraduate education through management of small equipment that is needed as part of the undergraduate curriculum (optical spectroscopy, ICP OES, HPLC, etc.). For a complete list of equipment, visit: http://imserc.northwestern.edu/ . The mass spectrometry lab maintains a fleet of 11 instruments that includes GC-MS, LC-MS and MALDI MS spectrometers as well as the small instruments needed to support educational activities. The MS Lab Manager will lead a team responsible for training walkup users (typically synthetic chemists, engineers and biologists), fee for service HRMS analysis and fee for service bioanalytical assay development, analysis and study design.
The Mass Spectrometry Lab Manager is responsible for day to day management of the lab and strategic planning which includes:
- Configuring the instrumentation in order to maximize the number of samples that can be analyzed by students in a 24x7 open laboratory environment
- Providing efficient, high quality sample analysis with all types of mass spectrometer in the IMSERC.
- Performing maintenance and troubleshooting for the IMSERC mass spectrometers.
- Providing consultation to IMSERC users to choose the appropriate mass spectrometric techniques for analyzing their samples and to assist in interpretation of results.
- Training users to operate the routine IMSERC mass spectrometers.
- Assisting with graduate level courses and seminars on the proper use of the instrumentation and interpretation of results.
- Actively participating in authoring scholarly articles with other faculty in peer reviewed journals / Attending conferences to give presentations on research at NU.
- Assisting IMSERC Director in the identification and procurement of state-of-the-art instrumentation (including assisting in the writing proposals for grants to purchase this type of equipment).
Applicants should have completed a PhD in Chemistry, Biology, or a related field with an emphasis on MS technique development. Past lab management experience, history maintaining instrumentation without service contracts and history of assay development strongly preferred. This position is at the Research Associate level, is full time and benefits eligible.
Interested candidates should submit CV and contact information for 3 references by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
AA/EOE. Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.