Principal Scientist, Regulatory Study Lead
We are currently seeking a highly qualified Principal Scientist to join our Scientific Strategy & Analysis department in Richmond, VA. The successful candidate will lead the development and execution of chemistry and physical characterization studies of reduced risk noncombustible tobacco products (e.g., e-vapor and heated tobacco products) that will lead to FDA tobacco product applications.
Specific accountabilities include:
- Leading scientific studies involving physical characterization, analytical chemistry and stability studies conducted internally and externally on tobacco products for regulatory submissions to FDA.
- Collaborating with subject matter experts on cross-functional teams to develop scientific strategies and studies.
- Interpreting and summarizing scientific study results in a clear and concise manner for internal reports, scientific meetings, scientific publications, and regulatory submissions.
- Independently conducting comprehensive literature searches to enhance tobacco science knowledge and support research findings.
- External scientific engagement with tobacco product stakeholders that may require 10% domestic and international travel.
- Masters or Doctorate degree in physical sciences (Bachelor's degree may be considered), plus a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience.
- Experienced chemistry project and technical leader in a highly regulated industry.
- Expertise in scientific writing of protocols, reports, and regulatory applications, such as Investigational New Drug (IND), New Drug Application (NDA), Premarket Approval (PMA) or Premarket Tobacco Product Application (PMTA).
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to maintain strong project management and organizational skills in a fast-paced environment and possess the ability to action orient to address project needs in a timely manner.
- Expertise with written and verbal communication skills and proficient command of the English language.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications, Adobe Acrobat, Reference Manager and other related technology tools.
Altria is a Fortune 200 company, proud to call Richmond, Virginia our home. Our companies - which have been the undisputed market leaders in the U.S. tobacco industry for decades - include some of the most enduring names in American business: Philip Morris USA, the maker of Marlboro cigarettes, and U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company, the maker of Copenhagen and Skoal. We also own John Middleton, manufacturer of Black & Mild cigars, Nat Sherman, a super-premium cigarette and cigar business and Nu Mark, an innovation company which makes e-vapor products like Mark Ten. We complement our total tobacco platform with Ste. Michelle Wine Estates, a collection of distinctive wine estates and maker of Chateau Ste. Michelle, and our significant equity investment in Anheuser-Busch InBev - the world's largest brewer.
Altria aspires to be the U.S. leader in authorized, non-combustible, reduced risk products. Our approach to regulatory advocacy relies on deep scientific expertise, understanding of consumers and effective engagement and collaboration with regulatory agencies. Fueled by our strong core tobacco business, we've been concentrating on new product platforms. These include oral nicotine containing products, e-Vapor, and heated tobacco products.
We believe these platforms have potential to drive adult smoker conversion. We can only compete in the marketplace with products authorized by the FDA and we can only communicate reduced risk claims with FDA authorization. We plan to file a number of regulatory applications in the coming years.
As existing products continue to improve, new products become available, and the FDA authorizes manufacturers to communicate accurate risk information, we believe adult smoker conversion will accelerate. This will be a win for adult tobacco consumers, for public health and for our long-term commercial success.
We recognize that our people are the reason we achieve our business goals. We believe in developing the leadership potential of our employees by providing them with opportunities for training, development and advancement.
In addition to the opportunity to apply and develop your skills toward key business objectives, we offer an excellent compensation package including a competitive base salary, comprehensive health/vision/dental insurance, and participation in our incentive compensation and deferred profit sharing programs, as well as a relocation assistance package.
Each Altria company is an equal opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other protected class.
<img height=1 width=1 border=0 src=https://altria.contacthr.com/64026647.jpg />
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: