Department Chair, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Brody School of Medicine (BSOM) at East Carolina University has partnered with Merritt Hawkins to find an enthusiastic and accomplished Department Chair to lead the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. BSOM, under the guidance of its new Dean, Mark Stacy, is making significant investments in research infrastructure and working to establish itself as a nationally-recognized research institute.
- In addition to instructing medical and graduate students, faculty in the department are actively engaged in basic science and translational research with focus areas that include gene expression and epigenetics, germ cell biology, cancer and tumorigenesis, metabolic dysfunction, post-translational regulation of protein function, and protein structure function determination.
- Working with the Dean and the faculty, the Chair will be responsible for establishing a long-term vision to develop a nationally-recognized, state-of-the-art research program while maintaining the department’s high quality of student training.
- To implement a long-term vision and expand on the current strengths of the department, the Chair will have the opportunity to immediately recruit several new faculty - in case you want to bring someone that supports your research with you. We have two positions set aside for this.
- BSOM grants both M.D. and Ph.D. degrees plus Master’s degrees in Public Health and Biomedical Sciences. With a student body of ~ 470 students and 450 faculty members and research scientists, BSOM currently receives ~ $20 million in external grants and contracts
A successful Chair candidate will:
- Have a doctorate degree in a relevant basic/translational science field, meet the school qualifications for tenure, and provide evidence of leadership qualities and strategic development.
- Have an established, federally-funded research program and documented evidence of excellence and commitment to research, teaching, administration, and service.
- Provide overall leadership to research programs, including new and established research directions; lead efforts to accomplish BSOM and ECU research goals
- Ensure all faculty (i.e., fixed-term, tenure-track and tenured) receive professional and career development counseling and support to optimize their potential for success
- Monitor and supervise the use of intramural and extramural funds, including indirect recovery funds and the Faculty Compensation Plan, in a manner that maximizes the quantity and quality of research in the department
- Develop an annual department budget and responsibly manage funds assigned to the department
Apply for Department Chair, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly