Chief Environmental Chemist
Do you have extensive experience with an environmental chemistry program? The Utah Department of Health needs you as the Chief Environmental Scientist for the Utah Public Health Laboratory (UPHL). You will be responsible for managing the Chemical and Environmental Testing program. You will directly report to the Laboratory Director and be responsible for the direction, leadership, and scientific oversight of the program. Our primary customer is the Utah Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). Expertise as a scientific consultant is required to continue delivering necessary testing services. To be successful in this position you need a solid base in environmental issues related to clean air, water, and land. Occasional in-state travel is required. Related laboratory experience and at least a Bachelor's degree is also required. Due to the nature of this position, compliance to the Utah Department of Health Employee Immunization policy is required.
As the Environmental Chief Chemist you will:
- Ensure continuity of service and accountability for the program.
- Maintain data integrity and quality for program work.
- Assess the Chemistry program needs and objectives, determine goals and priorities, analyze operation cost and effectiveness, and establish policies and procedures.
- Consult with DEQ on necessary testing requirements.
- Represent the laboratory on assigned inter-agency committees, task forces, advisory committees and to the public sector.
- Help integrate the laboratory's mission of service, teaching, and public health protection by forging relationships with other state programs, the local health departments, and public water utilities.
- Provide laboratory consultation in specialized areas of knowledge.
- Analyze, summarize, or review data; reports findings, interprets results and/or makes recommendations.
- Monitor program budget, including revenues, expenditures, and budget projections; and prepare and defend budget recommendations, requests, reports, proposals, and/or projections.
- Write, review, and/or negotiate grants, contracts and or agreements.
- Give expert testimony in court cases and/or hearings as needed.
- Ensure compliance with applicable federal and/or state laws, regulations, agency rules, standards and guidelines, etc.
- Supervise personnel to include: hiring, determining workload and delegating assignments, training, monitoring and evaluating performance, and initiating corrective or disciplinary actions as necessary.
Why You Should Join Our Team
This is an opportunity to make a difference. Along with the satisfaction of managing the Chemistry program at UPHL you will receive great health and retirement benefits, such as, generous paid time off so you can have a positive work life balance. Click here to view a summary of all the benefits we offer.
To learn more about the Utah Public Health Laboratory, click here.