Chemical Education Research - Tenure-Track
CHEMICAL EDUCATION RESEARCH
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, California State University, Fullerton (http://chemistry.fullerton.edu ) invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track position preferably at the Assistant Professor level in CHEMICAL EDUCATION RESEARCH with the appointment beginning in Fall 2019. CSUF values and is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse community. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their teaching, research and/or service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our communities.
Applicants with research interests in any area of chemical education research are welcome to apply; applicants whose interests are in inorganic and organic chemical education research are particularly encouraged to apply. The successful candidate will establish a research program involving students and participate in the activities of the CATALYST Center for the Advancement of Research in Teaching and Learning in Science and Mathematics Education and/or other appropriate campus Centers. Interdisciplinary research collaborations within the department, college or university are encouraged.
Applicants must have:
• a doctorate in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or Chemical Education at the time of application. Postdoctoral research or equivalent experience is preferred;
• the ability to teach both lecture and laboratory courses using student-centered, active learning and inquiry-based approaches at the undergraduate and master's levels.
• a demonstrated potential for effective lecture and laboratory teaching in Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry and/or General Chemistry;
• a strong record of productivity in chemical education research;
• a demonstrated potential for developing and sustaining an independent externally funded research program involving undergraduate and master's level students leading to peer-reviewed publications;
• a demonstrated commitment to educating, and the ability to communicate effectively with an ethnically and culturally diverse campus population.
Rank and Salary
The position will be filled preferably at the rank of Assistant Professor, tenure-track. Salary and startup are competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available, which includes health/vision/dental plans; spouse or domestic partner and dependent fee-waiver; access to campus child-care, based on availability of openings; and a defined benefit retirement through the State system, along with optional tax-sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, consult http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
August 18, 2019
A complete on-line application must be received in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 10699BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
• a cover letter explaining how you meet the qualifications outlined above
• a detailed curriculum vitae
• a statement of teaching philosophy and experience that addresses teaching and working with diverse populations (3-page limit)
• a statement of chemical education research plans and goals, including research experience and projects specifically designed to engage undergraduate and Master's students, with description of strategies to obtain funding, including anticipated equipment needs (4-page limit)
• copies of relevant peer-reviewed publications (limit of 3)
• three signed letters of reference on official letterhead stationary (see instructions below)
On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.
For inquiries, call: (657) 278-3621 or e-mail mailto:email@example.com
Review of applications will begin January 5, 2019, and will continue until a suitable candidate is appointed.
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.
California State University, Fullerton is a large, comprehensive, urban university with more than 4,100 full-and part-time faculty and staff members, and a diverse student body of 40,235 enrolled in Fall 2016. The university offers a broad spectrum of degree programs in liberal arts and sciences as well as applied and professional fields with 57 at the baccalaureate level and 52 graduate programs including a doctorate in education and doctor of nursing practice. Learning is preeminent at Cal State Fullerton. We combine the best qualities of teaching and research universities where actively engaged students, faculty and staff work in close collaborations to expand knowledge. Research and other creative activities are enhanced by the proximity of the campus to nationally recognized business, cultural, and educational institutions. Faculty members were awarded more than $21.4 million in grants and contracts for research and scholarly activities in 2015-16. The university has a longstanding tradition of collegial governance. Cal State Fullerton is strongly committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. CSUF is a designated Hispanic Serving Institution (the only one in Orange County) and an Asian American and Pacific Islander Serving Institution. We are ranked 6th in the nation in terms of baccalaureate degrees awarded to minorities. In addition to meeting fully its obligations under federal and state law, Cal State Fullerton is committed to creating a community in which a diverse population can live, work and learn in an atmosphere of tolerance, civility and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each individual. To that end, all qualified individuals will receive equal consideration without regard to economic status, race, ethnicity, color, religion, national origin or cultural background, political views, sex or sexual orientation, disability or Veteran's status or other personal characteristics or beliefs.