Instructor of Chemistry
4 days left
- Job Type
- Full time
The Department of Physical Sciences at Dixie State University in St. George, Utah, invites applicants for a full-time Instructor of Chemistry faculty position, to begin Fall Semester 2019. This position is well suited for a scientist who is interested in teaching pre-health professional chemistry, as well as Chemistry lab courses in organic and biochemistry, to undergraduate students. This position emphasizes excellence in teaching.
The Physical Sciences department encompasses courses in Chemistry, Engineering, Environmental Science, Geography, Geology, and Physics. More information about the department and its associated programs and faculty can be found online at https://science.dixie.edu/.
- Teach 30 credit hours of lower and/or upper division courses per academic year, plus provide institutional service as defined by University Policy and the College of Science, Engineering, and Technology. Such classes may include Organic Chemistry labs (CHEM 2315/2325), Biochemistry labs (CHEM 3515/3525), and pre-health professional chemistry courses and labs (CHEM 1120/1125).
- Coordinate lab courses with multiple sections to ensure all sections are aligned.
- Update and modernize lab experiments to be more effective in student engagement and learning, and to be more efficient, applying green chemistry principles where possible.
- Work with Department Chair, Dean, and other faculty in the Physical Sciences department to develop course content, objectives, and evaluation systems for course offerings; provide assessment of course offerings in consultation with other department faculty
- Perform defined campus-wide duties, including holding office hours, attendance at department and division meetings, and adherence to college, division, and university policies and procedures
- Involve undergraduate students in research projects as assigned
- A Master's Degree in Chemistry is required; area of specialization is open but a background in biochemistry, organic chemistry, bioorganic chemistry, medicinal chemistry, or related field preferred
- Evidence of potential for successful teaching at the college level
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal skills
- Willingness to work with and assist adjunct laboratory instructors
- An eagerness to engage with colleagues, staff and administrators to develop ways to improve the educational experience of our students
CONTRACT: Full-time (9-month) non-tenure-track faculty position starting Fall Semester 2019. Pay and benefits startJuly 1, 2019. Annual salary of $43,000+, depending on qualifications & experience; additional compensation available for summer/overload teaching. Excellent benefits package included - see https://humanresources.dixie.edu/employee-benefits/ under "Example of DSU Benefits" for more details.
ELECTRONIC APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Application review begins November 5, 2018; position open until filled. Candidates must submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, contact information for three professional references (including email addresses), transcripts, and a Student Success Statement (approximately one page, single-spaced, about their teaching or other experience, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population). Please upload all of the requested documents when you submit your application. Employment is contingent upon successful completion and certification of required degrees and upon successfully passing a background check. If, because of a disability, you need special services or facilities in order to apply for this opening, please call the Human Resources Office (435) 652-7520.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY: Dixie State University is an open-enrollment institution committed to student access, affordability and success. DSU has adopted an instructional approach of "active learning. active life" and we seek faculty committed to providing students with an active learning environment. Established in 1911 as a community college and in 2013 as a state university, DSU is located in picturesque southwestern Utah with its red rocks, desert climate, over 300 days of sunshine annually, and featuring easy access to world class outdoor recreational opportunities.
Dixie State currently has approximately 9,600 students and has been the fastest growing Utah public institution of higher education over the last two years. We offer over 180 programs, including masters, bachelors, associates, certificates, endorsements, minors, and/or emphases. DSU seeks to recruit faculty and staff who enthusiastically support the University's strong commitment to the academic success of all our students, including students of color, students with disabilities, students who are first generation to college, veterans, students with diverse socio-economic backgrounds, and students of diverse sexual orientation and gender expressions.
DSU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. The President and employees of Dixie State University are fully committed to Affirmative Action and to its policies of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity in all programs, activities, services, and employment with regard to race / ethnicity, color, national origin, sex, age, status as a person with a disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, and protected veteran's status.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.