Synthetic Organic Chemist
Obiter Research is a privately owned chemical research and manufacturing company located in the Champaign / Urbana Illinois area. We are adding to staff and are in search of an experienced Synthetic Organic Chemist. The position’s major area of responsibility is the performance of multi step organic chemistry reactions from mg to multi kilogram scale.
The individual must already have a Doctorate (PhD) from a College or University or equivalent; or 5 to 8 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Post Doc and / or industry experience is a plus. Candidate must have a proven track record of mechanical skills with good problem solving, communication and administrative capabilities. Must be able to balance multiple projects and deliver results on time.
- Set up and perform multiple laboratory chemical reactions and formulate experiments
- Maintain accurate record keeping, chemistry procedures and safety standards including notebook entries
- Use of equipment for reactions, distilling, re-crystallizations, and centrifuging
- Appropriate use and technique using NMR, HPLC, MS, GC
- Provide accurate progress reports on project status to Project Manager on a regular basis
- Active participation in assigned company committees providing expertise and knowledge.
- Take initiative in planning and implementing improvements consistent with the long term goals of the company
- Take initiative to over come emerging issues to enhance efficiencies in work flow and quality
- Ability to think strategically, collaborate with piers and interact with management staff.
- Method acquisition from literature, method development, and method verification.
- Interact with Project Manager and potential customers suggesting routes and alternatives to proposed reactions
- Research objectives as defined by customer including specifications, quantity and time frame
- Ability to effectively present information and respond accurately to questions
- Search out and place purchase requests for intermediates, solvents and chemical supplies.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products Chemdraw, Scifinder and Analytical Systems Software
All employees are expected to be available at least during normal business hours; from 8 AM to 5 PM and as necessary to complete assigned project goals and customer deadlines. Position requires the ability to work both independently and within a team environment with minimal supervision and to obtain quality results. General overall responsibilities include maintaining a safe work place with a strong understanding and commitment to safe lab practice and to positively collaborate with fellow chemists. Candidate must be able to lift at least 75 lbs.