Chemistry Full-time Faculty
Title: Chemistry Full-time Faculty
Position #: F02328
Location: Rockville, MD
Montgomery College, Rockville Campus is seeking a Full-time Chemistry faculty member to fill a position beginning August 2019. We are seeking an enthusiastic and dedicated teacher who exhibits a high degree of professionalism, a strong commitment to our students, and the ability to motivate and educate in an engaging manner.
The Rockville Chemistry Department is housed in the Science Center, a 2011 modern LEED-certified facility with multiple general chemistry and organic chemistry laboratories, two instrumentation rooms and dedicated laboratory staff to support instructional laboratories. Analytical instrumentation includes two 60 MHz NMR spectrometers, multiple FT-IRs, GC-MS, AA, HPLC and UV and fluorescence spectrometers. Faculty have opportunities to engage with students in undergraduate research. Outstanding candidates with a passion for teaching general chemistry and organic chemistry are particularly encouraged to apply to join the award-winning faculty in the Rockville Chemistry Department. This position is part of a collective bargaining unit.
Do you want to join us in our mission of providing an exceptional education and fostering student success? Montgomery College is a public, fully accredited, open admission institution. Led by President DeRionne P. Pollard, Ph.D., Montgomery College is dedicated to student success and widely recognized for the quality and scope of its academic programs. The faculty and staff of MC are integral to our continued excellence.
As a chemistry faculty member in our department, you will:
- Teach both general chemistry and organic chemistry lecture and laboratory courses. You may have additional teaching opportunities in introductory or non-majors chemistry courses as needed.
- Teach a varied schedule of courses that may include daytime, evening, weekend and/or accelerated sections, or possibly be asked to teach on another campus if needed. Opportunities may exist to teach summer session classes.
- Participate on or lead, department, discipline, campus or college committees.
- Collaborate with colleagues to promote student success.
- Pursue opportunities for professional development and participate in professional organizations and activities.
- Advise students in academic, transfer and career goals.
- Master’s degree in Chemistry, Chemical Education or related Chemistry field.
- Experience teaching general chemistry and organic chemistry.
- Demonstrated excellence in classroom instruction using a variety of teaching methods.
- Demonstrated effective collaboration with colleagues.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Understanding of and commitment to undergraduate education.
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Chemical Education or related Chemistry field. ABDs will be considered, but applicants are expected to have completed the Ph.D. by the start of the appointment.
- College level teaching experience in general chemistry and organic chemistry.
- Experience developing or utilizing innovative teaching pedagogies to foster student learning.
- Experience using analytical instrumentation (i.e. NMR, GC-MS, IR, AA) in undergraduate teaching laboratories.
- Experience mentoring undergraduate research in chemistry or interdisciplinary projects.
- Evidence of commitment to professional development and activities.
- Experience supporting students to overcome barriers to academic success.
- Demonstrated commitment to the instruction, inclusion and support of a diverse student population.
- Include dates of employment in your application or attachment;
- Submit a cover letter addressing how your teaching experience, scholarship, mentoring and/or service would contribute to academic excellence and student success in the Rockville Chemistry Department and support Montgomery College’s mission and vision.
- Submit a Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- Submit a statement of teaching philosophy (2-page maximum).
- Submit an un-official copy of your transcripts from highest degree earned.
- Apply online at http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/employment
- Online applications must be received by December 2, 2018.
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire:
- Eligible applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States and not require employer visa sponsorship.
- Successful completion of a background check.
- Participation in a retirement plan.
Our benefits package includes: generous paid vacation, sick, paid holidays, medical, dental, vision, group legal benefits, professional development, retirement plan, educational assistance, tuition waiver for employee and dependents, wellness programming including onsite gyms, pools and classes.