The Sappi NA Technology Center has an opening its Analytical Group. This work involves routine data collection as well as more complex root cause analysis and new test method development to support product development and assist with troubleshooting in Sappi’s manufacturing plants and with customers. The successful applicant should have the ability to follow acceptable laboratory procedures and operate typical pieces of analytical equipment such as: Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrometer, Raman Microscope, Thermal Gravimetric Analyzer, Scanning Electron Microscope and Gas Chromatograph Mass Spectrometer. Accountabilities may include project-based work as business need and applicant experience allows. The job requires that the applicant to be able to determine an appropriate test protocol to solve material analysis problems, as well as quickly master existing sample analysis procedures and accurately interpret the results. Compliance with safe work practices and chemical hygiene rules is mandatory.
- PhD in chemistry or MS/BS with relevant experience
- Must possess a strong background in analytical techniques and knowledge of inorganic and organic chemistry
- Must possess solid organizational skills to handle multiple short-term projects on an ongoing basis.
- Must have good oral and written communication skills
- Must have good computer skills and be familiar with various software programs
- Experience in any of the following
- Microscopy and SEM/EDX operation
- Chromatographic techniques
- Spectroscopic techniques
- Analytical method development