SR. SCIENTIST, DISCOVERY PHARMACEUTICAL SCIENCES
Merck Research Laboratories South San Francisco, a wholly owned subsidiary of Merck and Co., is focused on driving discovery research. Our new multi-disciplinary discovery research site offers state-of- the-art resources to explore the most promising science combined with Merck's world-class R&D expertise in small molecules and biologics. Located within the heart of the Bay area's biomedical community, research conducted in our new laboratories spans exploratory biology through early clinical development and is an integral part of Merck's powerful world-class network of drug and vaccine discovery.
At Merck, we are inspired by the belief that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to scientific excellence can create medicines and vaccines that save and improve lives. Every employee is building on our proud legacy of scientific breakthrough. Our ability to impact the lives of patients worldwide depends on the integrity, creativity, humility and scientific acumen of our team. We are creating a diverse organization that is inspired by invention and founded on a culture of respect and collaboration. At Merck Research Labs South San Francisco, you'll have the opportunity to expand your knowledge and skills through collaboration with talented and dedicated colleagues while advancing your career.
SR. SCIENTIST, DISCOVERY PHARMACEUTICAL SCIENCES
South San Francisco, CA
Senior Scientists in Merck's Discovery Pharmaceutical Sciences (DPS) department have the exciting opportunity to work on multi-disciplinary Discovery teams to help identify, characterize, and successfully transition quality drug candidate compounds from discovery to development.
Responsibilities include and are not limited to the following:
* Work closely with Medicinal Chemists and Discovery Teams throughout all stages of discovery to build key structure-property relationships across multiple drug modalities to identify optimal candidates for development
* Design enabling preclinical formulations (drug delivery) for pharmacology and toxicology studies
* Optimize preclinical drug candidates' solid state phase (pharmaceutics, stable polymorph ID, salt selection, etc.)
* Deliver key data sets for development candidate evaluation (Developability Assessment via solution and solid state chemistry characterization, etc.).
Working at Merck's new Innovation Center in South San Francisco, the candidate should have a creative passion for identifying and applying effective drug delivery technologies and pharmaceutics methods. As part of Merck's emphasis on innovation, the successful candidate also will actively explore external (commercial and academic) opportunities in order to engage new technologies related to drug delivery, pharmaceutics and other areas relevant to Merck's drug discovery/development programs.
Additional skills and functions include:
* Must excel in a team environment, where they also will collaborate with development functions (preformulation, chemistry, formulation, analytical, and biopharmaceutics research) in order to prepare early data sets that can be translated to clinical formulation development and ultimately quality drug products.
* Effectively present their work at team meetings as well as promote Merck science through publications and presentations/lectures.
* Balance their core laboratory research with discovery team representation
* Collaboration with DPS teams on the East Coast when needed in order to identify and advance programs
The position reports to the local DPS Senior Director in SSF.
* Required: Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Science, Chemistry, materials science, bioengineering or related science
* Hands-on experience in drug delivery (i.e. Solubilization, nanoparticles, etc.) and/or solid state phase characterization, salt selection and polymorph evaluation.
* Strong leadership, interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills along with strengths in delivering results on firm deadlines in support of discovery/development programs.
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
To be considered for this position, please visit our career site at merck.com/careers, search jobs, create a profile and submit your resume for requisition # RES002226 to:
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit: