Head of Medicinal Chemistry
DIRECTOR, MEDICINAL CHEMISTRY AT BBRC (Bangalore, India)
Responsibilities will include:
1) Oversight of daily operations supporting on site discovery chemistry research activities at the Biocon-BMS R&D Center (BBRC) in Bangalore, India. The activities include both medicinal chemistry and computer-assisted drug design (CADD), with a primary objective of discovering new drug candidates within multiple therapeutic areas.
2) Evaluating program scientific progress and taking appropriate actions to achieve success;
3) Developing and maintaining strong productive working relationships with program leaders and other key personnel in BBRC and at BMS;
4) Developing /training staff proficiencies and capabilities;
5) With US-based BMS program leaders and therapeutic area executives, identify programs that would benefit from collaboration with the BBRC.
The group will comprise approximately 95 scientists, with skills in both (1) synthesis of medicinally active compounds based on the principles of organic synthesis and reaction mechanisms; and (2) innovative designs of target structures based on the fundamental understanding of the drug target mechanism, structure activity and structure toxicity relationships as part of the lead development and lead optimization. The position reports to the Head of Biocon-BMS R&D Center, Bangalore, India. Note that the BBRC is a collaboration between Syngene International and Bristol-Myers Squibb Company.
Candidates should have a Ph.D. or equivalent in Organic chemistry and /or Medicinal chemistry with 10 – 20 years of hands on experience in a multi-national pharmaceutical company. Credentials must include strong publication and invention record; effective interpersonal and communication skills; full understanding of drug discovery path from lead identification to clinical candidate selection and nomination; full understanding and appreciation of pharmacology, metabolism, pharmaceutics and pharmacokinetics, toxicology as necessary for the lead optimization process. A solid record of repeated success in discovery programs is essential. Verbal and written communication skills must be outstanding. Desirable individual characteristics include: Innovative, creative and strategic thinking; strong leadership skills; strong problem-solving skills; and sensitivity to ethnic differences across international collaborations.
Job Function: Chemistry
Primary Location: Bangalore, India