Foothill-De Anza Community College District
Posting #: 15-088
Campus: Foothill College
Number of Working Months: 10 Months
Starting Salary: $55,073.00 - $90,449.00 annually
Open Until Filled: Open Until Filled
Employment Duration: Full-Time
Initial Review Date: 2/1/16*
*Any complete applications received after the review date will only be forwarded to the hiring committee at their request.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District is currently accepting applications for the faculty position of Instructor, Mathematics, Foothill College.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION INCLUDE:
The PSME Division is highly committed to student equity and success. The successful faculty candidate will demonstrate the skills and ability to create a learning environment that provides structure and support for our diverse students within an environment of academic integrity. Under the direction of the Dean of the Physical Sciences, Mathematics, and Engineering Division, the Mathematics Instructor must be able to successfully perform the following: instruct community college mathematics courses to a diverse student population with diverse learning styles; be able to teach the full range of mathematics courses from pre-algebra and algebra to statistics, calculus, discrete mathematics, linear algebra and differential equations; supplement mathematics courses with computer, web-based, and/or calculator applications, or course management systems (CMS); motivate and encourage students to be successful; support program planning and develop goals and metrics for student learning outcomes; and support student success in STEM by encouraging the use of the STEM Success Center as well as college-wide academic supports.
Standard duties expected of all faculty include development and evaluation of curricula, maintaining scheduled office hours, attending department and division meetings, pursuing professional growth activities, and performing other duties consistent with the role of an instructor. Instructors also have the opportunity to serve on district and college committees and participate in campus extra-curricular activities.
- Indoor, office environment.
(Applicants should perform these physical abilities with or without reasonable accommodations)
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information.
- Vision sufficient to read various materials.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to perform the tasks required of the position.
- Regularly stand, walk, and sit for extended periods of time.
- Bending at waist, kneeling, or crouching.
- Reaching overhead, above the shoulders, and horizontally.
- Lifting and carrying objects up to 20 lbs.
- Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- Master's degree in mathematics or applied mathematics OR Bachelor's degree in either of the above AND Master's degree in statistics, physics, or mathematics education OR the equivalent.
- Demonstrated commitment to student equity and providing resources, strategies and support for all students, with an emphasis on underrepresented and non-traditional students.
- Collaboration with other faculty, staff and administrators to attract and retain students who are traditionally underserved.
- Experience teaching or tutoring developmental and pre-collegiate mathematics, as well as courses at the level of calculus or higher.
- Ability to adapt pedagogy and teaching style to successfully serve students with widely varying abilities and levels of preparation.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written and spoken English.
- Ability to convey a sense of enthusiasm and excitement about mathematics and teaching.
- Ability to work in a team environment with full time and adjunct faculty.
- Strong academic record of mathematical knowledge.
- A District on-line application to be completed at http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/ *In the application, you will provide information, which demonstrates your understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- A cover letter (1-3 pages) detailing your qualifications, skills and abilities as they relate to the position.
- A current resume of all work experience, formal education and training.
- An attached document that list all mathematics courses taught including name of institution and brief course description.
- All college transcripts (undergraduate and graduate) scanned in Word or PDF format. We do not accept JPEG or other file formats for transcripts. Applicants who have international transcripts must obtain transcripts that are evaluated by an independent educational-equivalency evaluation company, and obtain an English translation (if necessary). These services are to be done at the applicant's expense. Both Foothill De Anza CCD employees and external candidates must submit transcripts.
If you wish to request equivalency for this position (if you believe you do not meet minimum qualifications), you may submit the Request for Equivalency form. This form will need to be submitted with your application packet. You may either scan a hard copy of this form with your application packet or submit it as a Word document with your application packet. http://hr.fhda.edu/_downloads/Equivalency.pdf
If any required application materials are omitted, the committee will not review your application materials. Application materials not required (including reference letters) for this position will not be accepted. For full-consideration, all application packets must be received by 11:59 pm on the closing date.
Please allow yourself ample time to complete your application and resolve any technical difficulties that may arise with your submission. We do not guarantee a response to application questions within 48 hours of the closing date. You may also visit our Applicant Information to assist with technical difficulties at: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/a-applicant-instructions.html
HIRING RANGE: $55,073.00 - $90,449.00 annually plus benefits; actual placement is based on applicant's verified education and experience.
For the complete Faculty Salary Schedule, go to:
Excellent benefits package which includes medical coverage for employee and eligible dependents, dental, vision care, employee assistance program, long term disability, retirement benefits and basic life insurance. Faculty are also eligible for paid sabbatical leaves and stipends for educational and professional development.
For information on our benefits package that includes medical for employees and dependents, visit our web site: http://hr.fhda.edu/benefits/index.html
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Full-time, Tenure-track, 10-months per year
STARTING DATE: Fall 2016
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Employment Services no later than the closing date of the announcement.
The successful applicant will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the U.S.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District does not reimburse applicants for travel, lodging or any other costs incurred by applicant to attend interviews. All interviewing costs incurred will be the responsibility of the applicant.
For more information about our application process contact:
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
12345 El Monte Road
Los Altos Hills, California 94022
To apply, visit: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/
Copyright 2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency