| Food Science Technical Lead - Assistant Industry Liaison Officer (Extension Support Specialist III)|
Department of Food Science
College of Agriculture and Life Science
The Cornell Institute for Food Systems (the Institute) creates and applies knowledge for the purpose of ensuring a safe, appealing, and nutritious food supply for all, today and in the future. Its mission is to provide a forum for Institute members to meet, share ideas, and develop collaborative teaching, research, and extension initiatives. The Institute is guided by a multi-disciplinary Executive Board with representation from the Departments of Food Science and Animal Science, the School of Integrative Plant Sciences, the Division of Nutritional Sciences and the Dyson School of Applied Economics & Management. It is comprised of a group of over 90 Cornell Faculty Fellows who, with staff and students, share a passion for and interest in food and food systems. Institute Faculty Fellows are from over 16 different departments and units.
The Institute maintains a strong presence with the food industry through its Industry Partnership Program (CIFS-IPP), where 18 different organizations from throughout the food system engage with Faculty Fellows and each other. Our members include global corporations, such as PepsiCo, Chr. Hansen, NBTY, JBT Foodtech, and Covance; start-up companies, such as JuicePress and CMS Technology; and enterprises such as Gallo from the world of wine to DFA and HP Hood from the dairy market to companies such as Wegmans, Beech-Nut and Agrana Fruit working to provide consumers with fresh produce and clean-label products. The CIFS-IPP provides a range of benefits and services to members, including assisting with access to faculty for research relationships, speaking engagements, and consulting; engagement with students and alumni for internships, employment and job shadowing; and utilization of two pilot plants, the Dairy Plant and the Sensory Evaluation Center. The Institute also provides members with invitations to a variety of types of conferences, seminars and webinars both to attend on campus, as well as to access remotely through archival methods. Each member develops an annual Action Plan with specific priorities, which are then monitored for successful completion throughout the year. At the conclusion of each company's membership year, an evaluation and feedback session is conducted. CIFS-IPP strives to reach 25 members in 2017.
This is a full-time position which will be located in the Department of Food Science and will work as a member of the team supporting the Industry Partnership Program of the Cornell Institute for Food Systems (ipp.cifs.cornell.edu/). A key responsibility of this position will be to help create the Action Plan, provide implementation of the Action Plan for assigned industry members in CIFS-IPP, including plan development, alignment of Institute expertise and resources, and, as often as possible, technical support and assistance through problem-solving solutions. In this way, the position will support stewardship of strategic relations with industry members. The goal for this position is to ensure satisfaction and retention of current program members and to continue to develop mutually-beneficial program components for the university Faculty Fellows and the industry members. The ideal candidate would have appropriate expertise in Food Science or a closely-related discipline to provide program members with completion of selected plan priorities. In addition, the ideal candidate would have expertise that will allow expansion and long term sustainability of this program by introducing new food system services and seeking other funding opportunities. The candidate is expected to analyze and evaluate major program efforts and make recommendations for program enhancements. Finally, the candidate will actively contribute to economic development activities focused in New York State.
This is a one-year term appointment with possibility of extension, dependent on funding and performance.
- Bachelor's degree in Food Science or closely-related discipline, with a minimum of 5 years of food industry experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Candidate must have strong customer-service orientation, including anticipating needs and demonstrating a sense of urgency in response to industry requests.
- Strong leadership and teamwork skills; ability to make progress by indirect influence in environment with little day-to-day directive and competing priorities.
- Strong interpersonal skills with proven ability to work with diverse stakeholders in group and one-on-one settings; working effectively with industry, faculty, advisory boards and committees, and other stakeholders.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and to adjust quickly to change and changing priorities.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Proven organizational and time-management skills.
- Fundamental competence utilizing current technology as a management and program-delivery tool.
- Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access, Internet and Web development.
- Must be able to meet the travel requirements of the position, including having reliable transportation.
- Must have and maintain a valid NYS driver's license, as well as undergoing a successful driver background check.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as essential job functions require.
- Proven experience identifying and obtaining new funding including industry support and grants.
- Prior experience with project and program management.
- Masters in Food Science or closely-related discipline.
- Substantial practical experience in diverse sectors of the food industry.
- Demonstrated ability to function successfully in more than one type of organizational environment.
- Knowledge of the philosophy, objectives and operation of an informal outreach system, such as Cornell Cooperative Extension (CCE).
- Knowledge and experience in current and emerging issues, production practices related to food processing, and consumer trends in New York State, the US and globally.
- Appreciation of the food system from Agriculture to food processing to agri-business.
- Creativity, energy, motivation and positive enthusiasm.
- Intrinsically motivated to uncover foundation for synergy between academia and industry.
- Prior experience with program communication and marketing strategies. Prior writing and editing of communication pieces
University Job Title:Extension Supp Spec III
Pay Rate Type:Salary
Contact Name:Michele Cowen
Number of Openings:1
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.
Background check may be required.2016-09-01-07:00