| Job Description |
The American Chemical Society (ACS) provides access to our premier scientific journals to the academic, corporate, and government research communities. Already established as the most-trusted, most-cited, and most-read journals in chemistry-related sciences, ACS products are well-known to and deeply respected by current and potential customers alike.
Division and Unit Overview
The American Chemical Society is the world’s largest scientific membership association and one of the top ten science publishers in the world. The Publications Division of the American Chemical Society provides to its members and the worldwide scientific community a comprehensive collection of high quality information products and services for the practice and advancement of the chemical sciences. The Division publishes a weekly magazine, and over 40 high-quality scholarly journals focused on chemistry and chemistry-related topics.
The Editorial Development Department is focused on maintaining and improving the editorial performance of existing titles and the development of new products. The unit is responsible for reporting to staff and external editors, and governance committees on performance of the journals, collaborating with external editors to ensure they have the appropriate resources to help their journals perform ably; collaborate with staff and editors create and implement strategic plans for journals; and for a number of titles, work directly with editors on the day to day management of peer review, author/reviewer outreach, and journal issue management.
The Managing Editor of the publication is responsible for the day-to-day management of ACS Infectious DiseasesTM, ACS Medicinal Chemistry Letters, and the Journal of Medicinal Chemistry and ensures that the publications are produced on time, on budget, and with appropriate levels of quality. S/he is responsible assisting the Editors and ACS Publications with refining and implementing the strategic goals for the journal to ensure its continued growth and success and monitoring the strategic progress of the journal against competitors. The Managing Editor will assist in developing publishing strategies and editorial initiatives to lead ACS Infectious DiseasesTM, ACS Medicinal Chemistry Letters, and the Journal of Medicinal Chemistry to flagship positions in their disciplines. The Managing Editor will also work with the Editors in planning, recruiting, and editing the editorial content commissioned for the publication to accompany its peer-reviewed content. S/he works with ACS staff from Production & Manufacturing, Editorial Office Operations, Web Innovation, and Sales & Marketing to implement strategic initiatives for the journal. S/he also represents the journal to the scientific community through laboratory visits and international conferences. The incumbent reports to the Acquisitions Editor, Editorial Development.
Work design: Manages a unit or function that is part of a larger function. Follows established organizational policies. Develops procedures; recommends policies. Decisions involve translating the Division’s goals and objective into unit objectives, defined work assignments and projects; conducting and implementing actions; and short-term planning.
• Works with Editors and team of expert Associate Editors to ensure timely, accurate, and consistent delivery of publishable material to ACS publications staff.
• Assists the Editors and Editorial Advisory Board members with soliciting manuscripts and reviews, as well as developing special issues with associated enhanced web-only features.
• In partnership with the Editors, identifies new and emerging areas of content for the journal and develop and implements mechanisms for soliciting submission of manuscripts in those areas.
• Manages workflows for invited reviews, features-type content, and cover art for the journals by identifying potential topics and authors in collaboration with Editors and maintaining schedules for invited authors/science writers. Writes select editorial pieces.
• Works with communications and press offices located nationally and internationally in highlighting the journal and increasing publicity.
• Implements and manages social media for the journals.
• Coordinates with other departments (Production & Manufacturing, Sales & Marketing, Web Innovation, Editorial Office Operations, others) to ensure efficiency, timeliness, and overall high quality of the published product.
• Monitors journal and competitor statistics, reporting on issues/trends.
• Plans and executes Editors/Editorial Advisory Board meetings in conjunction with ACS National meetings.
• Drafts strategic plans and monitoring reports.
• Effectively represent the journal in correspondence and collaboration with Associate Editors, authors, reviewers, and ACS staff on topics related to the journal.
• Represents the journal at site visits, selected scientific conferences, and exhibits to acquire and maintain a deep understanding of the needs and trends within the communities served by the journals and publications portfolio. Maintains contact with authors, reviewers, and outside experts including those in the publishing industry.
• Assists ACS publication staff with developing and implementing new features, services, and products in the publication portfolio.