| GENERAL DUTIESPerforms highly-skilled laboratory functions and other technical duties in support of coursework.|
* Sets up, maintains, and organizes student laboratories
* Assists students with setting up experiments and other learning exercises, and with the use of equipment and materials
* Maintains appropriate safety and hygiene standards
* Maintains required documentation related to laboratory activities
* Manages equipment and materials inventories.Job Title Name: College Laboratory TechnicianCONTRACT TITLECollege Laboratory TechnicianFLSANon-exemptCAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATIONThe Department of Sciences invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of College Laboratory Technician (CLT). Reporting to the Chief College Laboratory Technician the, CLT will perform the following duties as well as those included in the general duties:
* Complying with departmental policy and all local, state and federal health and safety regulations.
* Setting up laboratory equipment, instruments, and performing routine maintenance thereof.
* They should assist in selection and development of materials for new lab exercises, including pretesting changes during the semester.
* It is expected that during the normal course of the job they acquire new skills and techniques related to coursework and the ability to instruct the teaching staff in the relevant skills and techniques.
* As part of the non-teaching instructional staff, a CLT is expected to be available to assist the instructors as needed during operation of the labs in order to maintain the safety and well-being of all people in the course.
* Supervising and training Adjunct CLTs in the performance of similar duties as directed.This is a 35 hours/week position, which requires the flexibility to work evenings and weekends, as needed.John Jay College of Criminal Justice, a senior college of the City University of New York (CUNY), is an internationally recognized leader in educating for justice, committed to the advancement of justice and just societies. It is a public liberal arts college that enriches the entire learning experience by highlighting themes of justice across the arts, sciences, humanities, and social sciences. Located steps from Lincoln Center at the cultural heart of New York City, the College offers bachelors and masters degrees and participates in the doctoral programs of the Graduate School of the City University of New York. John Jay College is also recognized for serving a broadly diverse student population. Under the leadership of its fourth president, Jeremy Travis, John Jay College has experienced unprecedented faculty hiring, an expansion of its curricular offerings, and the opening in 2011 of a new 600,000 square foot building complete with a black-box theatre, state-of-the-art lab space for students and faculty, a moot courtroom, and a variety of virtual learning settings. As evidenced by so many on-going developments, the College offers its many new faculty and staff the opportunity to shape the future of their institution.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONSHigh School Diploma with a minimum of four years' related experience. Additional education may be used to meet the experience requirement: an Associate degree may be substituted for two years experience, and a Bachelor's degree may be substituted for four years experience.OTHER QUALIFICATIONSOther Qualifications:
* Bachelor of Science degree (or its foreign equivalent) in a wet laboratory-based (hard science) discipline such as chemistry or biology.
* Working knowledge, training and experience in laboratory safety, hazardous waste management, and/or chemical hygiene.
* Substantial experience in diverse scientific settings, including the private or industrial sector, government laboratories, and academic institutions that will add to our collective wisdom and experience.
* Substantial hands on, working knowledge of laboratory instrumentation.
* Master's Degree or graduate coursework in a laboratory-based discipline is a plus.
* Experience in any of the following areas: Forensic Science, Quantitative/Analytical Analysis, Environmental Studies, Organic Chemistry, Physics, Physical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Toxicology, Instrumental Analysis, Biochemistry or Biological Sciences.COMPENSATION$36,795 - $54,848BENEFITSCUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.HOW TO APPLYIf you are viewing this job posting on any website other than CUNYFirst, please follow the instructions below:
* Go to www.cuny.edu and click on "Employment."
* Click "Search job listings"
* Click on "More options to search for CUNY jobs"
* Search by job opening ID number 15481
* Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the instructionsCLOSING DATEOctober 19, 2016.JOB SEARCH CATEGORYCUNY Job Posting: Managerial/ProfessionalEQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITYCUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.*Location:
* John Jay College*Job Title:
* College Laboratory Technician (Classroom) - Department of Sciences*Job ID: